Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default Sharpening Stones

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 3:07:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
" wrote in
:

*snip*

Not too many folks can sharpen a knife well these days, and even fewer
can do it free hand. I sharpen knives for some of my friends, and
when they bring me their knives we are both embarrassed by how dull
they are. Try as I might, I can't get them to sharpen properly. A
great deal of the problem is that they won't practice to build the
muscle memory needed to cut the edge bevels the same on both sides. It
works out, though. I sharpen their knives, and they keep me in some
really nice cigars!

Robert

I made a simple jig that helped quite a bit. All it is is simply a block
of wood cut to the desired angle. Placed at one end of the stone, the
knife is placed against the stone and jig and that angle is held through
the stroke.

There's a commercial version out there, but it only takes two cuts on the
saw to make.

Puckdropper

Yes, here's a picture similar to the one I keep in the kitchen. You only have to keep the blade straight up and down to get the right angle. I attach water stones to mine with a rubber band.

https://cdn.instructables.com/FAI/YQ...8.RECT2100.jpg