Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mounting faucet to porcelain sink-Use putty/caulk/silicone?

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 10:14:06 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to tabitha.sukhai, Iggy wrote:
I know I'm quite late here, but from my personal experience...start over. If
the drain's a Pop-up with a pull-rod up top and a pivot-rod under the sink,
then the drain flange in the sink screws down (typically) into the tailpiece
beneath and is a separate piece. Stainless Steel Pop-up drain flanges are hard
to come by (tailpieces impossible), but by any means get one and never have to
play with the drain flange again.

In any case though, get rid of any Rubber Washer (under the flange "in" the
sink) and Plumber's Putty. Only use 100% silicone (not silicon, that's hard
brittle computer wafer stuff) to yes glue-down the drain flange. Both Rubber
Washers and Plumber's Putty dry-out, crack and leak in as little as 10-years,
Silicone doesn't. Silicone dries-out, but doesn't lose its seal, grip nor turn
back to a powder. Again, anything you can get in stainless steel is well worth
it, even if you need to basically make your own drain. I buy separate
stainless steel flanges, locking nuts and pivot-rods...suppliers always change
whenever I run out.
--

You're too late. 10 years ago Tabitha was abducted by giant alien gerbils from outerspace. The Air Force tried to intercept the flying saucer but it was just too fast for them. Tabitha was never returned by her furry alien kidnappers. It was a real tragedy for her family. (~_~

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster