Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Mineral Deposits In Household Pipes

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 10:32:32 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 7/26/2017 8:52 AM, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 8:39:37 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/26/2017 8:31 AM, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 7:58:04 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Your boilers at work should be blown down on a regular basis and
possibly have chemical treatment. I used to do a test every day on our
steam boilers as we used a lot of water. Even though softened you still
have to be careful with steam boilers. We operated at 110 psi, over 300
degrees.

The boilers were okay. The boiler had a loop for the building heating system and a loop for domestic hot water. It was domestic hot water that would precipitate deposits in the valves if it got too hot. Obviously you can't do chemical treatment on domestic hot water.

A softener would help.

Sure. But it would be costly to run in a building this big, with 300 showers.

What will it cost to repipe that big building when the pipes begin to
look like your milk drinking, high cholesterol and fat loving uncle
Eddie's arteries at age 59 when he goes into full arrest? ;-)

Or you can just keep the water cool enough, which is what we do. Works fine.

The mixing valve right after the storage tank will scale up if we get the heat up too much. The rest of the pipes don't seem to have any problem.

Maybe I should mention we have 410 buildings on this campus. Softeners would cost a lot to run, and it comes out of the maintenance budget.