Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Petrol and diesel vehicles could be banned by 2040

On 26-Jul-17 8:38 PM, newshound wrote:
But it seems to me self evident that electric vehicles are *not* a dead
end. My wife and I have just gone down from four to three road vehicles,
and actually pretty much the most basic electric would be fine for at
least 90% of our journeys. It's just the capital cost which stops me
from getting one at the moment.

My car has a range of around 500-600 miles on a single tank, refills in
a few minutes and can carry five people with luggage, or a lot of
luggage for two people. I don't need all of those every trip, but I do
need them from time to time and only have the one car. All electric cars
are a long way from giving me what I need.

If the manufacturers were given a free hand as how to achieve set
pollution levels, they could, for example, choose to make hybrids that
only ran on electricity in the areas where air quality is an issue;
easily done with GPS. Jaguar did a concept hybrid, using miniature gas
turbines to run the generators, which are far more efficient and cleaner
than ICEs, however that still needed fossil fuel to run. By planning to
ban new petrol and diesel cars, the government is preventing
developments of that sort.

Colin Bignell