Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Sharpening Stones

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in
news
Growing up in our family grocery store we used a triple stone setup
with a mineral oil basin below. My dad taught me how to hold and
sweep a knife to get a nice straight 20 degree edge. It took a lot of
practice, but even now when I sharpen a knife on a stone the edge
taper is nice and flat.

*snip*

I had some trouble with that the other day. I was thinking about
building
a jig, but what makes things hard is my pocket knife has a gentle
curve at
the end (like many do). Do you have any suggestions, or could you go
into
detail about the technique you use?

I was just looking for knife sharpening information last night. Good
timing. :-)

Puckdropper
***********************
I visualize the blade sitting on a wedge. As you sweep around the
curve the back of the blade picks up and sweeps back slightly, but the
angle from the contact point to the back of the blade in a line along
the stone remains the same. Most people have a problem with that part
and they get a shallower angle on the curve of the blade. Its
sharper, but it folds over easier.

The line that you use to determine your angle should be perpendicular
to the tangent of the curve at the contact point with the stone. LOL

Is proper sharpening achieved by rotating the blade as you draw it
across the stone--so that you maintain this angle?