Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sharpening Stones

"Bob La Londe" wrote in
news
Growing up in our family grocery store we used a triple stone setup
with a mineral oil basin below. My dad taught me how to hold and
sweep a knife to get a nice straight 20 degree edge. It took a lot of
practice, but even now when I sharpen a knife on a stone the edge
taper is nice and flat.

*snip*

I had some trouble with that the other day. I was thinking about building
a jig, but what makes things hard is my pocket knife has a gentle curve at
the end (like many do). Do you have any suggestions, or could you go into
detail about the technique you use?

I was just looking for knife sharpening information last night. Good
timing. :-)

Puckdropper