Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Toilet Bowl Cleaners ?

On 7/26/2017 10:11 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/26/2017 04:44 AM, Bob wrote:
Could anyone please suggest a toilet bowl cleaner that
actually works, other than the one(s) that are apparently
nothing but Hydrochlorlic (HCl) acid ?

Suggest a cleaner that works other than the one that works? You might
try phosphoric acid. You can find it in Home Depot around the concrete
supplies. It's used to etch concrete but is not as aggressive as
hydrochloric. It's sometimes used to descale coffee makers. Even vinegar
might work but I wouldn't count on it.

I seem to recall these cleaners contain hydrochloric acid at half the
strength of what is sold as Muriatic acid or about 35% HCl. They also
seem to contain a viscosity booster and dye to cling to sides of toilet.
You could cheaply make your own but be careful the strong acid fumes and
dilute it where you will not have to breathe them.

Something wife used to use Iron Out which contains sodium metabisulfite
and sodium hydrosulfite. It was quite effective. I note that the
metabisulfite does not seem to work alone as I tried stuff left over
from my wine making days used to help yeast keep clear of bad strains.