Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Petrol and diesel vehicles could be banned by 2040

On 26/07/2017 10:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 10:34:18 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 26/07/2017 09:46, Nightjar wrote:
On 26-Jul-17 9:38 AM, Ash Burton wrote:
It only applies to new vehicles produced after 2040, there will still
be a lot of petrol/diesel engined cars on the road for many years
after that.

I predict a big boost in sales of new petrol and diesel cars in 2039 :-)

You would buy a car when the fuel will become harder to find?
As cars get scraped the garages will close due to lack of fuel sales and
anyone buying the last of the fuel driven cars will end up with no fuel
or expensive fuel long before the vehicle has worn out.

Maybe you will be able to synthesis it from gas and electricity by then?

You could just convert them to run on gas. Back in the ?1960's, during
the fuel rationing, our workshop technician modified the carb on his
car to take gas (I think it was an SU carb and he just drilled out the
jet and made a new needle), and had a bottle of propane on the back
seat with a length of hose to the carb. How he didn't blow himself up,
I don't know. The main problem was the gas bottle icing up.

Can't imagine anyone doing anything like that now, although I guess
more professional conversion kits are available.

You could but, the range will be somewhat less unless you can find
somewhere to fit a big gas tank.

Also there probably won't be many places to fill up.