Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Mineral Deposits In Household Pipes

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 22:38:25 +0100, Taxed and Spent wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 22:17:48 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/25/2017 3:47 PM, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 7:40:39 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Water sits in the hot water tank and the minerals collect over time. In
your case, they were circulated more than normal. Water heaters are
notorius for mineral buildup.

I don't know the exact chemistry of it but if you get hot water too hot, minerals precipitate out. We've had that problem with boilers at work. If we set the temperature too high, or it got out of control, mixing valves etc would start failing in a day. I would think that temperature is hotter than domestic hot water tanks but maybe there's some effect at a lower temperature.

Your boilers at work should be blown down on a regular basis and
possibly have chemical treatment. I used to do a test every day on our
steam boilers as we used a lot of water. Even though softened you still
have to be careful with steam boilers. We operated at 110 psi, over 300
degrees.

Why don't cars suffer from this? Can't we make boilers run like car cooling systems?

You get new water all the time, bringing in more and more minerals.

I see.

Since you're here, explain why (older?) Renaults got airlocks all the time and simply stopped pumping water without warning, overheating the engine to catastrophic failure. Central heating does the same, but most non-Renault cars never get airlocks. Surely they could learn from each other.

--
Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a ****-head?
A. Depth perception.