Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Mineral Deposits In Household Pipes

On 7/25/2017 12:14 AM, Dan O wrote:
replying to jamesgangnc, Dan O wrote:
Actually I can tell you that deposits can and do build up in copper. Years
ago I replace a water heater with an indirect water heater. I was
horrified
to see that after only a few years (3-5 or so) the hot water pipe output
from
the heater had maybe half of its cross section left open. In general,
folks
may be right that it isn't usually a problem with copper. However, in
my case
I think my situation was worse due to the fact that I have a passive hot
water
re-circulation loop. So the water lazily flows through the loop 24/7 - I
assume continually depositing calcium. Recently I added a softener for the
hot water feed. As a side note, we are on a township well with medium hard
water. I don't recall the number but remember looking it up an it wasn't
considered extremely hard.

Water sits in the hot water tank and the minerals collect over time. In
your case, they were circulated more than normal. Water heaters are
notorius for mineral buildup.