Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Better Hinge

"Jon B. Slocomb" wrote in message

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:57:07 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
http://tacklemaker.info/index.php?ac...sa=view;pic=31
You shouldn't need to be logged on to see the image.

How does MIG welding a thicker bar on the end compare in cost and
effort?

You could mill steps for the beads in the end to retain strength and
minimize cleanup.
********

I hadn't thought of that. I do have a MIG with a spool gun for welding
aluminum. I'm not very good, but I expect for a repetitive weld I could
setup, make a couple practice passes, and then do several at a time. I'm
not sure that overall it's the best solution for me, but it is a good
idea.

P.S. When I was learning to make molds, I had my first ultralight CNC
mill, and stock was more precious to me since I wasn't making any money
with it I often welded up mistakes in a plate and remachined it.

Personally I'd sub that job to a certified welder friend who is much
better than I'll ever be, and ask him how he wanted the parts prepared
so that the beads stay below the upper and lower surfaces.

*********

Now that's something I won't do. I used to just try to take certain types
of welding jobs over to the professional shops and leave it. I'd ask how
long, and that's when I'd come back to pick it up. I would never bother
them in between. The job was never ever done when they said. Not one
time.
Usually I was told 2 more weeks several times (after an intitial 3-6 week
time window) before they finally did the job The last two times it was
done
wrong. I just quit. Sure I get that Mr big farm owner or Mr government
contractor is a more important customer. I knew that up front that's why I
just asked how long and left. Its why I ultimately bought a decent dual
gun
MIG welder and learned to weld aluminum in the first place. No point in
taking paying work to them if I can't get it done. I'm not good, but my
welds don't break either and ultimately they get done when I want them
done.
Had nothing to do with money. I spent a lot on the welder. I took a lot
of
years to pay it off. I'd have rather just had somebody do it and not worry
about it. Its why I work on a lot of my own stuff.

I don't know if it is worth the bother but you might want to look at
Lyman bullet molds. The hinge is in the handles and the mold is simply
two blocks aligned with pins.
see https://tinyurl.com/yamk6h5f

Thats a decent idea John. I actually have some Lyman and Lee stuff, and
atleast on paper I am a dealer for Lee Precision. Unfortunately those molds
do not open far enough to load hooks, pins, screws locks, wire forms, etc,
easily. Its definitely a good form for bullet molds and allows a home
boo-lit caster to own several molds and only one set of handles. Thanks for
the thought John.