Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_2_] The Real Bev[_2_] is offline

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

On 07/24/2017 06:54 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/22/17 8:48 PM, micky wrote:
How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when
you're in town?

When you go out of town?

Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years,
but I stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey
buried in my yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic
keyholders for cars. I thought either it would fall off or someone
would find it, since there are so few good places to put it. So I
carried the dupe in my pocket.

My recent model upscale ride has keyless ignition and proximity
sensors. With the fob in my pocket, locked front doors open when I
grab either handle and the trunk opens when I touch its hidden
sensor.

Having keyless ignition without proximity sensors seems annoyingly
useless. You have the key in your hand to open the door, but where do
you put it then if not in the handy storage slot? Drop it on the floor?
Put it in a nonexistent pocket? On the seat where it can drop down
into the memory hole between the seats? In my purse where I have to
spend time finding it when I have to lock the car when I leave?

Friend's Lexus has the prox sensors, but you have to push a button on
the key to lock it when you leave. The side mirrors obligingly fold
down when it's locked so you know that it's locked.

One more useless thing that will probably immobilize the car when
Something Goes Wrong.

I do like having a modern key, though. Although I thought it was kind
of dumb before I had it, just pushing a button (sometimes exactly the
wrong one) to open things is nice.

Speaking of infinity holes... My husband's wallet fell out of his suit
pocket and into the memory hole, where we didn't find it for two years.
We thought it was stolen out of the house and caused major nuisance.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Incontinence hotline, can you hold?"