Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default how to route a thin deep slot in end grain of 18mm wood

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/07/2017 23:27, michael adams wrote:
"jkn" wrote in message
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet
of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You need to fit an arbor and a slotting cutter which is like a miniature saw blade.

You'll need to check sizes although you can alter the diameter of the bearings
on the arbore to determine the depth of the slot.

You lay the work flat , run the router along the top and the bearings in the arbor
either side of the blade run against the side of the wood.

And be very careful planning your movements - its wickedly easy to forget you can't
lift or plunge, and end up taking a lump out of the face of your wood. DAMHIK!

Good point.

The router I used this on had a removeable threaded fine adjuster
with a knob on the end originally designed for use under a table.
As an added precaution I always used a locknut on the other side
of the lug the fine adjuster screwed down onto.

On smaller Elus and Dewalt copies you can subsitute threaded
stud for one of the screws on the turret and then use locknuts
on this.

I wouldn't attempt to use this set-up otherwise.

Possibly I should have mentioned this in my original post.

michael adams