Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default how to route a thin deep slot in end grain of 18mm wood

Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

perfect job for a groover cutter!

Try here
https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog...oover_134.html

Bob

jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/17 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

I think a 3mm bit is going to be a problem at 15mm deep.

What I think you actually want is a 3mm wide slotter fitted to an arbor

https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/s...-pid41493.html
https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/t...-pid41229.html

Or if you have a table saw try using that.

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the
end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm
thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed
that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left
on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a
last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

These are deeper cutting

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog...er_60_130.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:

how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Solid wood, or ply-wood?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/17 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the
end of a sheet of wood.
Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm
thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed
that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left
on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a
last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

I think a 3mm bit is going to be a problem at 15mm deep.

What I think you actually want is a 3mm wide slotter fitted to an arbor

https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/s...-pid41493.html

https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/t...-pid41229.html

Or if you have a table saw try using that.

Table saw would be my choice.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

Forget the router. This is a job for a table saw or - at a push - a
biscuit jointer.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 July 2017 21:43:42 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

Forget the router. This is a job for a table saw or - at a push - a
biscuit jointer.

+1, a 3mm wide bit has too little strength or rigidity. FWIW you can get 3.2mm spiral saw bits, but you won't succeed with one.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

Forget the router. This is a job for a table saw or - at a push - a
biscuit jointer.

+1, a 3mm wide bit has too little strength or rigidity. FWIW you can get 3.2mm spiral saw bits, but you won't succeed with one.

NT

Hi All
Thanks for the quick replies! At first blush the Groover Cutter looks like
the thing - me not thinking of this just shows my inexperience in what's
available for Routers.

+1, a 3mm wide bit has too little strength or rigidity

Too little strength or rigidity for what, please?

FWIW (a) It is in solid wood, not ply, and (b) I don't have a table saw (or
Biscuit Cutter)

Cheers
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jkn" wrote in message
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You need to fit an arbor and a slotting cutter which is like a miniature saw blade.

You'll need to check sizes although you can alter the diameter of the bearings
on the arbore to determine the depth of the slot.

You lay the work flat , run the router along the top and the bearings in the arbor
either side of the blade run against the side of the wood.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:

Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

Forget the router. This is a job for a table saw or - at a push - a
biscuit jointer.

+1, a 3mm wide bit has too little strength or rigidity. FWIW you can get 3.2mm spiral saw bits, but you won't succeed with one.

NT

Hi All
Thanks for the quick replies! At first blush the Groover Cutter looks like
the thing - me not thinking of this just shows my inexperience in what's
available for Routers.

+1, a 3mm wide bit has too little strength or rigidity

Too little strength or rigidity for what, please?

for what you're doing of course

FWIW (a) It is in solid wood, not ply, and (b) I don't have a table saw (or
Biscuit Cutter)

Cheers
Jon N

So what saws do you have?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You will have difficulty finding a 3mm straight fluted bit - and if you
do, it will be very weak so you would need many light passes to get to
depth.

You can get some slotting bits - the type designed for biscuit jointing
in a normal router may do what you want.

I think if I were doing this, I would actually use a small circular saw
with a guide fence fitted (or better still do it on a table saw if you
have access to one). You may need a narrow kerf blade to get 3mm though
(use multiple passes if you need to go wider than a single blade kerf.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 23:27, michael adams wrote:
"jkn" wrote in message
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You need to fit an arbor and a slotting cutter which is like a miniature saw blade.

You'll need to check sizes although you can alter the diameter of the bearings
on the arbore to determine the depth of the slot.

You lay the work flat , run the router along the top and the bearings in the arbor
either side of the blade run against the side of the wood.

And be very careful planning your movements - its wickedly easy to
forget you can't lift or plunge, and end up taking a lump out of the
face of your wood. DAMHIK!

Use an extra bit of wood on the other side of the router base to add
stability when doing this type of cut - otherwise its difficult to
balance it on edge and then slide it into the cut.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:

Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

Forget the router. This is a job for a table saw or - at a push - a
biscuit jointer.

+1, a 3mm wide bit has too little strength or rigidity. FWIW you can get 3.2mm spiral saw bits, but you won't succeed with one.

NT

Hi All
Thanks for the quick replies! At first blush the Groover Cutter looks like
the thing - me not thinking of this just shows my inexperience in what's
available for Routers.

+1, a 3mm wide bit has too little strength or rigidity

A groover is not a bit, tabby.

Before you make a bigger fool, look up the links I posted.

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Hi John

"jkn" wrote in message
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You need to fit an arbor and a slotting cutter which is like a miniature saw blade.

You'll need to check sizes although you can alter the diameter of the bearings
on the arbore to determine the depth of the slot.

You lay the work flat , run the router along the top and the bearings in the arbor
either side of the blade run against the side of the wood.

And be very careful planning your movements - its wickedly easy to
forget you can't lift or plunge, and end up taking a lump out of the
face of your wood. DAMHIK!

Yes, I get that, thanks!

Use an extra bit of wood on the other side of the router base to add
stability when doing this type of cut - otherwise its difficult to
balance it on edge and then slide it into the cut.

I worked that out for myself last night after visualising things in a bit more detail - thanks! ;-)

As it happens there will be a 'scrap' area (to be cut away subsequently) of a few cm at the start end end of the slot, so the cleanness of the entry and exit points are not over-critical.

This has all been very helpful, thanks a lot.

Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

IIUC, clamp the wood in a workmate and run a circular saw set to 15mm. I
did this to build a frame to hold the tongue of T&G cladding.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jkn" wrote in message
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You need to fit an arbor and a slotting cutter which is like a miniature saw blade.

You'll need to check sizes although you can alter the diameter of the bearings
on the arbore to determine the depth of the slot.

You lay the work flat , run the router along the top and the bearings in the arbor
either side of the blade run against the side of the wood.

And be very careful planning your movements - its wickedly easy to
forget you can't lift or plunge, and end up taking a lump out of the
face of your wood. DAMHIK!

Yes, I get that, thanks!

Use an extra bit of wood on the other side of the router base to add
stability when doing this type of cut - otherwise its difficult to
balance it on edge and then slide it into the cut.

I worked that out for myself last night after visualising things in a bit more detail - thanks! ;-)

As it happens there will be a 'scrap' area (to be cut away subsequently) of a few cm at the start end end of the slot, so the cleanness of the entry and exit points are not over-critical.

This has all been very helpful, thanks a lot.

The best way to do this is with as we have arrived at a groover
tool/arbor and using a router table. as well which allows a fence to
be used to control the depth, and the table to support the workpiece.

Jon N

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 July 2017 02:03:48 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You will have difficulty finding a 3mm straight fluted bit - and if you
do, it will be very weak so you would need many light passes to get to
depth.

A 3mm diameter cutter can not do that, no matter how many shallow passes you make. I know because I have one. The only things it's able to manage are drilling downward and sideways cutting where the material being cut is at the surface & thus close to the chuck. Anything else is a nonstarter.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 July 2017 08:51:27 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
"jkn" wrote in message

Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

The best way to do this is with as we have arrived at a groover
tool/arbor and using a router table. as well which allows a fence to
be used to control the depth, and the table to support the workpiece.

.... if those are the tools the OP has. Otherwise it isn't. Random questioners are more likely to have a circular saw than a groover for a router.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You will have difficulty finding a 3mm straight fluted bit - and if you
do, it will be very weak so you would need many light passes to get to
depth.

A 3mm diameter cutter can not do that, no matter how many shallow passes you make. I know because I have one. The only things it's able to manage are drilling downward and sideways cutting where the material being cut is at the surface & thus close to the chuck. Anything else is a nonstarter.

NT

Dear tabby. PLEASE read what has been read. We are not talking about a
3mm dia cutter, but a 40mm or gretaer diameter cutter used on edge like
a precisioon saw with a 3mm kerf.

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a
slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around
18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / |-| |------|
| | | | | | | | | |_| | | | | |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally
presumed that the approach would be to get a suitable 'deep
pocket' router bit and cut the slot in several passes. However I
cannot find such a router bit and am wondering if there are any
other options.

You will have difficulty finding a 3mm straight fluted bit - and if
you do, it will be very weak so you would need many light passes to
get to depth.

A 3mm diameter cutter can not do that, no matter how many shallow
passes you make. I know because I have one.

What you know is that your 3mm cutter can't do it...

The limitation with any straight cutter with flutes narrower than the
shank is that they will only have a limited depth of cut before you hit
the tapered section. On many cutters of that type, the max depth is
usually no more that 1/2", which given the OP suggested "15mm or so" may
or may not be adequate.

You can get 1/8" shank router cutters, which for 3mm fluted cutters will
not have the same limitation on depth of cut. You would need either an
adaptor collet for a larger machine, or a small detail router like the
Dremel style add on:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hakkin-Tita.../dp/B0187AYWE4

(However as I highlighted previously, there are other and better options
in this particular case).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

Use a table saw and a guide fence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

"jkn" wrote in message
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You need to fit an arbor and a slotting cutter which is like a miniature saw blade.

You'll need to check sizes although you can alter the diameter of the bearings
on the arbore to determine the depth of the slot.

You lay the work flat , run the router along the top and the bearings in the arbor
either side of the blade run against the side of the wood.

And be very careful planning your movements - its wickedly easy to
forget you can't lift or plunge, and end up taking a lump out of the
face of your wood. DAMHIK!

Yes, I get that, thanks!

Use an extra bit of wood on the other side of the router base to add
stability when doing this type of cut - otherwise its difficult to
balance it on edge and then slide it into the cut.

I worked that out for myself last night after visualising things in a bit more detail - thanks! ;-)

As it happens there will be a 'scrap' area (to be cut away subsequently) of a few cm at the start end end of the slot, so the cleanness of the entry and exit points are not over-critical.

This has all been very helpful, thanks a lot.

Jon N

oh, a supplementary...

After the earlier discussions I was thinking of using the router 'bit down',
with a side piece of the same thickness to ensure the router is stable. However
I do have a router table and so could use the router 'upside down' in that.

This would give the benefit of being able to use the fence; however the slots
need to be quite long (the wood is ~600mm wide) and I guess I would need to
extend the table so that the wood is stable at the extremities.

(I s'pose I could do half the slot in each direction and turn the wood over -
but since the slot is not symmetrical in the wood I would have to do some
height adjusting which I am reluctanct to do.)

Does the team think that this would still be preferable to clamping two bits of wood down and going in from the top? I guess with the table and fence I would
not need to fit a 'depth bearing' on the arbour?

Thanks, and sorry for all the beginner's questions...

Oh, and and to answer some questions that have come up - I have no power saws at
all. I did once do a thing similar to this with a tenon saw but it was a mighty
faff and I have a lot more to do now... I would (marginally) prefer to buy a
router bit/s than a saw, if only for the space taken up)

Cheers
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jkn" wrote in message
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You need to fit an arbor and a slotting cutter which is like a miniature saw blade.

You'll need to check sizes although you can alter the diameter of the bearings
on the arbore to determine the depth of the slot.

You lay the work flat , run the router along the top and the bearings in the arbor
either side of the blade run against the side of the wood.

And be very careful planning your movements - its wickedly easy to
forget you can't lift or plunge, and end up taking a lump out of the
face of your wood. DAMHIK!

Yes, I get that, thanks!

Use an extra bit of wood on the other side of the router base to add
stability when doing this type of cut - otherwise its difficult to
balance it on edge and then slide it into the cut.

I worked that out for myself last night after visualising things in a bit more detail - thanks! ;-)

As it happens there will be a 'scrap' area (to be cut away subsequently) of a few cm at the start end end of the slot, so the cleanness of the entry and exit points are not over-critical.

This has all been very helpful, thanks a lot.

Jon N

oh, a supplementary...

After the earlier discussions I was thinking of using the router 'bit down',
with a side piece of the same thickness to ensure the router is stable. However
I do have a router table and so could use the router 'upside down' in that.

This would give the benefit of being able to use the fence; however the slots
need to be quite long (the wood is ~600mm wide) and I guess I would need to
extend the table so that the wood is stable at the extremities.

(I s'pose I could do half the slot in each direction and turn the wood over -
but since the slot is not symmetrical in the wood I would have to do some
height adjusting which I am reluctanct to do.)

Does the team think that this would still be preferable to clamping two bits of wood down and going in from the top? I guess with the table and fence I would
not need to fit a 'depth bearing' on the arbour?

use the table and dont worry too much about extending it. Get a mate to
support it and feed it in whilst you control the wood near the router bit.

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
"jkn" wrote in message
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet
of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You need to fit an arbor and a slotting cutter which is like a miniature saw blade.

You'll need to check sizes although you can alter the diameter of the bearings
on the arbore to determine the depth of the slot.

You lay the work flat , run the router along the top and the bearings in the arbor
either side of the blade run against the side of the wood.

And be very careful planning your movements - its wickedly easy to forget you can't
lift or plunge, and end up taking a lump out of the face of your wood. DAMHIK!

Good point.

The router I used this on had a removeable threaded fine adjuster
with a knob on the end originally designed for use under a table.
As an added precaution I always used a locknut on the other side
of the lug the fine adjuster screwed down onto.

On smaller Elus and Dewalt copies you can subsitute threaded
stud for one of the screws on the turret and then use locknuts
on this.

I wouldn't attempt to use this set-up otherwise.

Possibly I should have mentioned this in my original post.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:

You will have difficulty finding a 3mm straight fluted bit - and if you
do, it will be very weak so you would need many light passes to get to
depth.

A 3mm diameter cutter can not do that, no matter how many shallow passes you make. I know because I have one. The only things it's able to manage are drilling downward and sideways cutting where the material being cut is at the surface & thus close to the chuck. Anything else is a nonstarter.

NT

Dear tabby. PLEASE read what has been read. We are not talking about a
3mm dia cutter, but a 40mm or gretaer diameter cutter used on edge like
a precisioon saw with a 3mm kerf.

did you really miss
You will have difficulty finding a 3mm straight fluted bit

that I was responding to? seriously?
There, I've snipped the rest so even you can see it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jkn" wrote in message

Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

The best way to do this is with as we have arrived at a groover
tool/arbor and using a router table. as well which allows a fence to
be used to control the depth, and the table to support the workpiece.

... if those are the tools the OP has. Otherwise it isn't. Random questioners are more likely to have a circular saw than a groover for a router.

No, it is clear he has a router.

we know that retard-boy. What we don't know is whether he has a saw that will do the job or not.

the rest he has to buy.

The cost of an arbor and groover is less than a decent saw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2017 12:30, jkn wrote:

oh, a supplementary...

After the earlier discussions I was thinking of using the router 'bit
down', with a side piece of the same thickness to ensure the router
is stable. However I do have a router table and so could use the
router 'upside down' in that.

Yup, slotting cutters are much easier and safer to use in a table.

This would give the benefit of being able to use the fence; however
the slots need to be quite long (the wood is ~600mm wide) and I guess
I would need to extend the table so that the wood is stable at the
extremities.

Depends on how bit the table is - as long as you can hold it flat on the
table with it tipping, then its fine if it overhangs either end at some
point in the cut.

You can also make yourself a feather board and clamp it to the fence of
the table to help you "hold down" the work.

(I s'pose I could do half the slot in each direction and turn the
wood over - but since the slot is not symmetrical in the wood I would
have to do some height adjusting which I am reluctanct to do.)

No, try and work from one side only if you can. its easier generally to
have a "reference face" that you work and measure from.

Does the team think that this would still be preferable to clamping
two bits of wood down and going in from the top? I guess with the
table and fence I would not need to fit a 'depth bearing' on the
arbour?

If you have a table, then use that. As you say the fence will let you
set the depth. If the cutter you get has a bearing on it, then you can
just set the face inline with that by placing a ruler across the fence
gap and against the bearing.

Thanks, and sorry for all the beginner's questions...

No problem - we were all beginners once, and at least this way you don't
have to make all the mistakes we made.

Oh, and and to answer some questions that have come up - I have no
power saws at all. I did once do a thing similar to this with a tenon
saw but it was a mighty faff and I have a lot more to do now... I
would (marginally) prefer to buy a router bit/s than a saw, if only
for the space taken up)

Yup a router with the slotting cutter is perfectly good way to do it,
especially as you have a table (you can do it freehand, but its easier
to make mistakes with that type of setup). The only real downside of
that type of cutter is they are more "one trick ponies" than straight
fluted cutters which have a wider range of uses.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:

Hello all This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a
slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around
18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / |-| |------|
| | | | | | | | | |_| | | | | |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally
presumed that the approach would be to get a suitable 'deep
pocket' router bit and cut the slot in several passes. However I
cannot find such a router bit and am wondering if there are any
other options.

You will have difficulty finding a 3mm straight fluted bit - and if
you do, it will be very weak so you would need many light passes to
get to depth.

A 3mm diameter cutter can not do that, no matter how many shallow
passes you make. I know because I have one.

What you know is that your 3mm cutter can't do it...

The limitation with any straight cutter with flutes narrower than the
shank is that they will only have a limited depth of cut before you hit
the tapered section. On many cutters of that type, the max depth is
usually no more that 1/2", which given the OP suggested "15mm or so" may
or may not be adequate.

You can get 1/8" shank router cutters, which for 3mm fluted cutters will
not have the same limitation on depth of cut. You would need either an
adaptor collet for a larger machine, or a small detail router like the
Dremel style add on:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hakkin-Tita.../dp/B0187AYWE4

(However as I highlighted previously, there are other and better options
in this particular case).

Whoosh. The limitation with 1/8" sideways cutting bits is the lack of lateral strength. Try to cut the op's slot and they will just break.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:

Hello all This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut
a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is
around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / |-|
|------| | | | | | | | | | |_| | | |
| | |SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally
presumed that the approach would be to get a suitable 'deep
pocket' router bit and cut the slot in several passes.
However I cannot find such a router bit and am wondering if
there are any other options.

You will have difficulty finding a 3mm straight fluted bit -
and if you do, it will be very weak so you would need many
light passes to get to depth.

A 3mm diameter cutter can not do that, no matter how many
shallow passes you make. I know because I have one.

What you know is that your 3mm cutter can't do it...

The limitation with any straight cutter with flutes narrower than
the shank is that they will only have a limited depth of cut before
you hit the tapered section. On many cutters of that type, the max
depth is usually no more that 1/2", which given the OP suggested
"15mm or so" may or may not be adequate.

You can get 1/8" shank router cutters, which for 3mm fluted cutters
will not have the same limitation on depth of cut. You would need
either an adaptor collet for a larger machine, or a small detail
router like the Dremel style add on:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hakkin-Tita.../dp/B0187AYWE4

(However as I highlighted previously, there are other and better options
in this particular case).

Whoosh. The limitation with 1/8" sideways cutting bits is the lack of
lateral strength. Try to cut the op's slot and they will just break.

Are you just arguing for the sake of it again?

No they won't break with a lateral pass - its a router cutter not a
drill bit. Yes you will need to take light shallow passes - as I already
said above. With each pass the load on the cutter is at the tip where
its doing the cutting. If it survived the first pass, the following ones
should be no harder.

This is also a pointless discussion since the OP has already indicated
they would rather go with the slotting cutter approach as has been
recommended by several people.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dear tabby. PLEASE read what has been read. We are not talking about a
3mm dia cutter, but a 40mm or gretaer diameter cutter used on edge like
a precisioon saw with a 3mm kerf.

e.g. This axminster 47mm cutter, which with a 22mm bearing on the arbor
will cut a 12.7mm groove, unfortunately they don't seem to sell e.g. an
19mm bearing arbour which would give the 15mm groove required.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-2-wing-slotting-cutters-ax809783

Or they do a 4mm x 15mm intumescent slot cutter, if a 4mm groove would
do instead of 3mm?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-intumescent-strip-cutters-ax834745
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:

Hello all This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut
a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is
around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / |-|
|------| | | | | | | | | | |_| | | |
| | |SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally
presumed that the approach would be to get a suitable 'deep
pocket' router bit and cut the slot in several passes.
However I cannot find such a router bit and am wondering if
there are any other options.

You will have difficulty finding a 3mm straight fluted bit -
and if you do, it will be very weak so you would need many
light passes to get to depth.

A 3mm diameter cutter can not do that, no matter how many
shallow passes you make. I know because I have one.

What you know is that your 3mm cutter can't do it...

The limitation with any straight cutter with flutes narrower than
the shank is that they will only have a limited depth of cut before
you hit the tapered section. On many cutters of that type, the max
depth is usually no more that 1/2", which given the OP suggested
"15mm or so" may or may not be adequate.

You can get 1/8" shank router cutters, which for 3mm fluted cutters
will not have the same limitation on depth of cut. You would need
either an adaptor collet for a larger machine, or a small detail
router like the Dremel style add on:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hakkin-Tita.../dp/B0187AYWE4

(However as I highlighted previously, there are other and better options
in this particular case).

Whoosh. The limitation with 1/8" sideways cutting bits is the lack of
lateral strength. Try to cut the op's slot and they will just break.

Are you just arguing for the sake of it again?

No they won't break with a lateral pass - its a router cutter not a
drill bit. Yes you will need to take light shallow passes - as I already
said above. With each pass the load on the cutter is at the tip where
its doing the cutting. If it survived the first pass, the following ones
should be no harder.

Having used such a thing I know what you discuss there is optimistic.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 July 2017 16:28:36 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/07/2017 13:34, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 24 July 2017 11:11:43 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

... if those are the tools the OP has. Otherwise it isn't. Random questioners are more likely to have a circular saw than a groover for a router.

No, it is clear he has a router.

we know that retard-boy. What we don't know is whether he has a saw that will do the job or not.

was the OP's comment "Oh, and and to answer some questions that have
come up - I have no power saws at all." not enough of a clue for you?

That response came later. Pay attention.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jkn" wrote in message

Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of
wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

The best way to do this is with as we have arrived at a groover
tool/arbor and using a router table. as well which allows a fence to
be used to control the depth, and the table to support the workpiece.

... if those are the tools the OP has. Otherwise it isn't. Random questioners are more likely to have a circular saw than a groover for a router.

No, it is clear he has a router.

we know that retard-boy. What we don't know is whether he has a saw that will do the job or not.

Actually we do, since he said he hasnt.
retard boy.

the rest he has to buy.

The cost of an arbor and groover is less than a decent saw.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/23/2017 9:21 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
On 23/07/17 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in
the end of a sheet of wood.
Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm
thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed
that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left
on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a
last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

I think a 3mm bit is going to be a problem at 15mm deep.

What I think you actually want is a 3mm wide slotter fitted to an arbor

https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/s...-pid41493.html

https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/t...-pid41229.html

Or if you have a table saw try using that.

Table saw would be my choice.

SteveW

Mine too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/24/2017 8:22 AM, RJH wrote:
On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the
end of a sheet of wood.
Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm
thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed
that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left
on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a
last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

IIUC, clamp the wood in a workmate and run a circular saw set to 15mm. I
did this to build a frame to hold the tongue of T&G cladding.

I think you might be lucky to have the thin strip survive. Given my poor
woodworking skills I think I would look at capping a stepped rebate.