Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

On 7/23/2017 11:32 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I just bought a new 2017 Toyota (would have gotten the 18, but they are
butt ugly).

Yes, they are. Looks like the grafted part of the ugly Lexus grill on
the front of it.

The key fits inside the fob. It is a flat piece of metal and there are
some notchies on the side. I have not had time to check it out,but
think that key has some kind of electronics in it also. That way you
can use the key if the battery in the fob goes bad. The book says the
fob battery will only last about 2 years. I guess it is sending out a
signal all the time. The push button to unlock the doors on the other
car and truck fobs are 10 years old and still work.

Sounds like the same setup I have on my Genesis. I don't think the key
has electronics. I've had the car for 22 months and just put the second
battery in the fob. My wife has never used hers and I just put the
first battery in that one.