Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default how to route a thin deep slot in end grain of 18mm wood

On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:
Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

You will have difficulty finding a 3mm straight fluted bit - and if you
do, it will be very weak so you would need many light passes to get to
depth.

You can get some slotting bits - the type designed for biscuit jointing
in a normal router may do what you want.

I think if I were doing this, I would actually use a small circular saw
with a guide fence fitted (or better still do it on a table saw if you
have access to one). You may need a narrow kerf blade to get 3mm though
(use multiple passes if you need to go wider than a single blade kerf.

--
Cheers,

John.