Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to route a thin deep slot in end grain of 18mm wood

On Sunday, 23 July 2017 22:19:31 UTC+1, jkn wrote:
On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 10:15:28 PM UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Sunday, 23 July 2017 21:43:42 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 23/07/2017 20:53, jkn wrote:

Hello all
This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood.

Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick.

The slot needs to be say 3mm across, and perhaps 15mm deep.

| | slot approx 3mm from edge

| | 3mm slot, 15mm or so deep

/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
/ / / /
|-| |------|
| | | |
| | | |
| |_| |
| |
| |
|SIDE VIEW |

| ~18mm | thickness of wood

I have a Router (1/2" chuck) available to me. I originally presumed that the
approach would be to get a suitable 'deep pocket' router bit and cut the
slot in several passes. However I cannot find such a router bit and am
wondering if there are any other options.

I am expecting to have it pointed out that the 3mm strip of wood left on the LH side of the slot will be very weak. I do realise this... a last resort is to
make a rebate rather than a slot, but this leaves me with a different
finishing problem.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions

jon N

Forget the router. This is a job for a table saw or - at a push - a
biscuit jointer.

+1, a 3mm wide bit has too little strength or rigidity. FWIW you can get 3.2mm spiral saw bits, but you won't succeed with one.

NT

Hi All
Thanks for the quick replies! At first blush the Groover Cutter looks like
the thing - me not thinking of this just shows my inexperience in what's
available for Routers.

+1, a 3mm wide bit has too little strength or rigidity

Too little strength or rigidity for what, please?

for what you're doing of course

FWIW (a) It is in solid wood, not ply, and (b) I don't have a table saw (or
Biscuit Cutter)

Cheers
Jon N

So what saws do you have?