Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky micky is offline

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Jul 2017 19:18:31 -0400, micky
wrote:

The only time you should ruin a chip key is if you wish to hide it above
the ignition key slot so that a remote starter will start the car. But

By this, I don't mean to chop off the bulbous parts of the key. I mean
to cut the key in half where the metal part meets the plastic part.
Then you can conceal the plastic, chip-key part near the ignition switch
so remote starters will work. But then the metal part won't be long
enough even to open the door, so don't damage the key at all.

you can just as easily place a complete key there. Then fwiw no one
will need a chip key. My owners manual, 2004 Sebring, says that I
can't use a remote starter, but I suspect they are wrong.