Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

On 7/23/2017 5:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

We bought a new house about 10 years ago. My wife locked herself out
several times, but I came home about a half hour later and let her in.
The garage door has a keypad to enter numbers in, so I hid a spare key
in the garage. So if locked out, enter the number and most of the time
the door to the house is not locked,but if it is, find the spare key.
The childern which are grown now and out of the house know how to get in
if they need to when we are not here.

That works as long as there isn't a power failure, unless of course your GDO
has a battery back-up. Electronic door locks don't have power failure issues as
long as you keep decent batteries installed. With most electronic door locks,
it's hard not to, unless you ignore the warnings for a long, long time.

I have a key hidden in the garage too and a code pad. Better yet, I put
in a new slider door in the family room. Unlike the old door, I cannot
slam it shut to lock. I have to use a key to lock it and it save some
accidental ooops!