Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 3:40:56 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

heads.

Regarding spare house keys...

I have 3 electronic keypad locks, 1 for each entry door and the garage door opener.
Plus, my cars have built-in garage door openers. The odds of all three sets of keypad
batteries being dead and the power being out at the same time are ridiculously slim,
especially since both entry door locks warn me when the batteries are getting weak, but
long before they die.

I haven't carried a house key in many, many years. I guess SWMBO could disable
everything, but luckily she still likes me. I do my best to keep it that way. ;-)

We bought a new house about 10 years ago. My wife locked herself out
several times, but I came home about a half hour later and let her in.
The garage door has a keypad to enter numbers in, so I hid a spare key
in the garage. So if locked out, enter the number and most of the time
the door to the house is not locked,but if it is, find the spare key.
The childern which are grown now and out of the house know how to get in
if they need to when we are not here.

That works as long as there isn't a power failure, unless of course your GDO
has a battery back-up. Electronic door locks don't have power failure issues as
long as you keep decent batteries installed. With most electronic door locks,
it's hard not to, unless you ignore the warnings for a long, long time.