Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheChief TheChief is offline

Default Dispute over new loft conversion

"Bert Coules" Wrote in message:
I live in a semi-detached bungalow. My neighbour has complained that the
dormer window of my new loft conversion overhangs the boundary between our
properties because it hasn't been built in exact accordance with the plans.

I can't judge the position visually - the overhang, if it does actually
exist,must I think be extremely small - but I'm uncertain as to the best way
to proceed. The neighbour has asked that I raise the matter with both the
builder and the architect and I'm quite willing to do so, but it seems to me
that the architect isn't really involved and the builder is hardly the most
unbiased person to pass judgement on the situation.

Isn't it up to my neighbour to prove his contention? If so, I assume this
would take more than just his word on the matter and a visual inspection. I
doubt the builder would accept anything less than an independent surveyor's
report, and in fact neither would I.

But I'd be grateful for any comments. Many thanks.

Can you clamp, by hand only, a straight edge horizontally to the
side of the dormer? This might be along the fascia board or the
guttering depending on the design. The straight edge needs to be
long enough to project past the lower extremity of the building.
Then a plumb line can be dangled from the projected straight
edge down the face wall of the property. You'll need an
accomplice to check the position of the plumb weight when it
comes to rest.
This might be "tweakable" in your favour slightly if necessary
when you demonstrate the "accurate" location for your
neighbour.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----