Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dispute over new loft conversion

I live in a semi-detached bungalow. My neighbour has complained that the
dormer window of my new loft conversion overhangs the boundary between our
properties because it hasn't been built in exact accordance with the plans.

I can't judge the position visually - the overhang, if it does actually
exist,must I think be extremely small - but I'm uncertain as to the best way
to proceed. The neighbour has asked that I raise the matter with both the
builder and the architect and I'm quite willing to do so, but it seems to me
that the architect isn't really involved and the builder is hardly the most
unbiased person to pass judgement on the situation.

Isn't it up to my neighbour to prove his contention? If so, I assume this
would take more than just his word on the matter and a visual inspection. I
doubt the builder would accept anything less than an independent surveyor's
report, and in fact neither would I.

But I'd be grateful for any comments. Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:39:31 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

I live in a semi-detached bungalow. My neighbour has complained that
the dormer window of my new loft conversion overhangs the boundary
between our properties because it hasn't been built in exact accordance
with the plans.

If the window overhangs the boundary presumably you have also encroached
upon your neighbour's loft space?

I think he is just out to cause a nuisance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:

I think he is just out to cause a nuisance.

That's possible, but it doesn't diminish the fact that his causing a
nuisance could be, well, a nuisance.

He's claiming that the incursion over the boundary has affected both the
value and the ease of reselling of his property.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:57:33 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

Mark Allread wrote:

I think he is just out to cause a nuisance.

That's possible, but it doesn't diminish the fact that his causing a
nuisance could be, well, a nuisance.

He's claiming that the incursion over the boundary has affected both the
value and the ease of reselling of his property.

How can a window overhang the boundary unless you have also gone into his
loft space?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Isn't it up to my neighbour to prove his contention? If so, I assume this
would take more than just his word on the matter and a visual inspection. I
doubt the builder would accept anything less than an independent surveyor's
report, and in fact neither would I.

Get some light string and a weight. Fix the string with tape to the
outside of the dormer (the point nearest your neighbour) and adjust
the length so the weight is on the boundary line. Once it stops
swinging If it falls on your side no problem, if it is on the
neighbours side you have a problem. You don't need a surveyor at this
time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:

How can a window overhang the boundary unless you have also gone into his
loft space?

That certainly hasn't happened. But his contention is that it's the outer
surface of the timber construction (Marley Cedral cladding) which is over
the border.

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Faca...therboard.aspx

As I said, if the overlap *is* there it's pretty minimal. His argument
seems to be that an inch (or even a fraction of an inch) is as good - or
rather as bad - as a mile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

Get some light string and a weight...

Thanks for the suggestion but that can't be done, I'm afraid. There isn't a
clear vertical drop down from the edge (or even the rear corner) of the
dormer because it's set back from the rear walls of both properties.

Besides, isn't it up to him to prove that there's an overlap, rather than to
me to prove that there isn't?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 15:39, Bert Coules wrote:
[...]

I find this difficult without photo or plans but:

a. did you serve notice in accordance with the Party Wall Act?

b. what precisely did that specify as regards the alignment of the new
window?

c. did the neighbour exercise the right to a Party Wall Surveyor
(possibly shared with you) and if so what did the agreement at the end
of that specify?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 16:18, Bert Coules wrote:
Mark Allread wrote:

How can a window overhang the boundary unless you have also gone into his
loft space?

That certainly hasn't happened. But his contention is that it's the
outer surface of the timber construction (Marley Cedral cladding) which
is over the border.

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Faca...therboard.aspx

As I said, if the overlap *is* there it's pretty minimal. His argument
seems to be that an inch (or even a fraction of an inch) is as good - or
rather as bad - as a mile.

Again, hard to judge without photos or plans but if the 2 houses started
off as mirror images of one another a simple test is this.

Could you neighbour carry out *exactly* the same conversion as you (with
mirror inversion) to *exactly* the same position on the party wall as you?

If not, then I suspect your builder may have gone beyond the centre line
of the party wall and you need to see if you had permission to do so.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote:

Could you neighbour carry out *exactly* the same conversion as you (with
mirror inversion) to *exactly* the same position on the party wall as you?

That's a very interesting point. I shall take another look, bearing that in
mind. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote:

a. did you serve notice in accordance with the Party Wall Act?

Unfortunately, this wasn't done, initially because the neighbour declared
that "we shouldn't be bothered with all that" and latterly (when I fully
intended to send him at least an informal letter outlining my intentions)
because it was simply overlooked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Mark Allread wrote:

I think he is just out to cause a nuisance.

That's possible, but it doesn't diminish the fact that his causing a
nuisance could be, well, a nuisance.

He's claiming that the incursion over the boundary has affected both the
value and the ease of reselling of his property.

How can a window overhang the boundary unless you have also gone into his
loft space?

Exactly. Can you draw a diagram of how the window and your two houses are
arranged. How can either of you measure the exact position of the boundary
line / party wall? Is the fence between you exactly on the boundary, and if
so, is the boundary deemed to be half-way through the thickness of the
posts, or along the line of the fence which is on one side of the fence
posts.

If the boundary line is a half-way along a brick on the wall, how reliably
can either of you measure the exact extent of your window by projecting
lines back to this reference brick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote:

Exactly. Can you draw a diagram of how the window and your two houses are
arranged?

I might be able to put a photo online but I haven't yet sorted out a
replacement for Photobucket; I'll see.

How can either of you measure the exact position of the boundary line /
party wall?

I think he's calculating the position of the boundary based on the distance
between the two closest adjacent rear windows in our back walls. The window
openings were 4.5 brick-widths apart, so the boundary is presumably at the
2.25 brick-width position.

This is complicated now though because the rear wall of my bungalow has been
moved backwards into the garden by a metre and the new window openings are
quite different. But photos exist of the old wall in place.

Is the fence between you exactly on the boundary...

No. The fence, for some reason, is some 6-8 inches his side of the boundary
(if the 2.25 bricks calculation is correct).

Until all this business started I never looked closely at the placing of the
fence and automatically assumed that it accurately marked the boundary. I
do wonder now if the builders made the same assumption and took the fence as
a datum line for locating the newly-moved wall and therefore the dormer too.
If so it doesn't necessarily mean that there is an overlap but it would
place both wall and dormer closer to the boundary line than in the plans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/17 15:39, Bert Coules wrote:
[...]

Can you hang a plumbline off the furthest point? Or use a plumb-laser
off the ground?

How certain is the boundary?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/17 15:57, Bert Coules wrote:
Mark Allread wrote:

I think he is just out to cause a nuisance.

That's possible, but it doesn't diminish the fact that his causing a
nuisance could be, well, a nuisance.

He's claiming that the incursion over the boundary has affected both the
value and the ease of reselling of his property.

He *might* be right if a potential buyer noticed it and questioned.

Flying freeholds (where they exist) cause no end of trouble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you did overhang the space by accident, either make the builder
remedy (hard and expensive) or offer to buy a slither of land off the
neighbour (at the builder's expense)?

The latter would be a solid solution *if* there was a breach.

You'd have to expect to pay the neighbour's legal costs too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/17 16:29, Bert Coules wrote:
Peter Parry wrote:

Get some light string and a weight...

Thanks for the suggestion but that can't be done, I'm afraid. There
isn't a clear vertical drop down from the edge (or even the rear corner)
of the dormer because it's set back from the rear walls of both properties.

Besides, isn't it up to him to prove that there's an overlap, rather
than to me to prove that there isn't?

How long do you want this to drag on for? And do you like paying lawyers?

If he's right, you would do well to fix the problem asap (and offering
to buy an inch of land off him or whatever the transgression is) would
be a sensible solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/17 17:01, Bert Coules wrote:
"Robin" wrote:

a. did you serve notice in accordance with the Party Wall Act?

Unfortunately, this wasn't done, initially because the neighbour
declared that "we shouldn't be bothered with all that" and latterly
(when I fully intended to send him at least an informal letter outlining
my intentions) because it was simply overlooked.

That may have been a poor move - because now he's moaning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

If you did overhang the space by accident, either make the builder remedy
(hard and expensive) or offer to buy a slither of land off the neighbour
(at the builder's expense)?

Thanks for this and your other replies. Acquiring a sliver of land and
therefore moving the boundary might actually be a workable solution, if he's
right (and willing, of course).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 July 2017 18:26:06 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
Thanks for this and your other replies. Acquiring a sliver of land and
therefore moving the boundary might actually be a workable solution, if he's
right (and willing, of course).

But if your loft overhangs his side of the boundary and you move the boundary, won't that mean that his downstairs then extends onto your side of the boundary?

Either way, if upstairs doesn't match downstairs you may end up with a flying freehold, which conveyancing solicitors hate.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/17 16:18, Bert Coules wrote:
Mark Allread wrote:

How can a window overhang the boundary unless you have also gone into his
loft space?

That certainly hasn't happened. But his contention is that it's the
outer surface of the timber construction (Marley Cedral cladding) which
is over the border.

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Faca...therboard.aspx

As I said, if the overlap *is* there it's pretty minimal. His argument
seems to be that an inch (or even a fraction of an inch) is as good - or
rather as bad - as a mile.

if its an inch plane it off.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

It's a semi or attached house? Sorry, I missed that.

It's a semi detached bungalow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 23/07/17 17:44, Bert Coules wrote:
"NY" wrote:

[...]

Usually the fence is owned by one or the other and sits on the owners
land, so the outer face of the fence would be the boundary.

Until all this business started I never looked closely at the placing of
the fence and automatically assumed that it accurately marked the
boundary. I do wonder now if the builders made the same assumption and
took the fence as a datum line for locating the newly-moved wall and
therefore the dormer too. If so it doesn't necessarily mean that there
is an overlap but it would place both wall and dormer closer to the
boundary line than in the plans.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 3:39:35 PM UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
[...]

Is it the window or the soffit or fascia that causing the overhang. Is the loft roof a flat roof or pitched tiled.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
"NY" wrote:

[...]

How does the dormer align with the one metre extension to your rear wall?

Assuming the neighbour didn't object to the extension

If you go to the bottom of your garden, and taking advantage of the 6-8 inches
offered by the positioning of the fence can't you take a photo or series of photos
one of which will be exactly at right angles to the back of your house ?
Including both the extension as it abuts your back wall and the dormer window.
Ideally you won't want any of the one metre side wall of the extension visible, but
neither will you want the extension obscuring any of the back wall.
And then blow them up on the 'puter and draw a vertical line aligned with the
side of the extension and see how this aligns with the side of the dormer.
If the dormer does or doesn't encroach should then be evident from the
photo, and is worth establishing before proceeding further (in the
event that it in fact does). In the event that it doesn't then print out
the photo and show it to the neighbour or even invite him to take
his own photo and check for himself.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote:

If you go to the bottom of your garden, and taking advantage of the 6-8
inches
offered by the positioning of the fence can't you take a photo or series
of photos
one of which will be exactly at right angles to the back of your house ?

I have tried that but the result isn't as clear-cut as I would have liked,
partly because I can only get such a picture from the farthest point of the
garden and at that distance, even with computer-aided enlargement, it's not
easy accurately to mark the exact line of the border.

But I'll persevere. Thanks for the thought.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kipper at sea" wrote:

Is it the window or the soffit or fascia that's causing
the overhang? Is the loft roof a flat roof or pitched tiled?

There isn't a window in the side wall of the dormer. If there is an
overhang it's caused by the decorative/protective cladding which was used
instead of tiles. This stuff:

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Faca...therboard.aspx

The loft roof is flat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 21:32, Bert Coules wrote:
"Kipper at sea" wrote:

Is it the window or the soffit or fascia that's causing
the overhang? Is the loft roof a flat roof or pitched tiled?

There isn't a window in the side wall of the dormer. If there is an
overhang it's caused by the decorative/protective cladding which was
used instead of tiles. This stuff:

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Faca...therboard.aspx

The loft roof is flat.

Can you post some photos - with a link here - so we can get a better
idea of what's what?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Can you clamp, by hand only, a straight edge horizontally to the
side of the dormer? This might be along the fascia board or the
guttering depending on the design. The straight edge needs to be
long enough to project past the lower extremity of the building.
Then a plumb line can be dangled from the projected straight
edge down the face wall of the property. You'll need an
accomplice to check the position of the plumb weight when it
comes to rest.
This might be "tweakable" in your favour slightly if necessary
when you demonstrate the "accurate" location for your
neighbour.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/17 21:32, Bert Coules wrote:
"Kipper at sea" wrote:

Is it the window or the soffit or fascia that's causing
the overhang? Is the loft roof a flat roof or pitched tiled?

There isn't a window in the side wall of the dormer. If there is an
overhang it's caused by the decorative/protective cladding which was
used instead of tiles. This stuff:

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Faca...therboard.aspx

The loft roof is flat.

That's tricky - I would consider legal advice asap. If it's overhanging
the centre of the party wall line, it's likely to cause problems.

But first, measure it...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote:

If you go to the bottom of your garden, and taking advantage of the 6-8 inches
offered by the positioning of the fence can't you take a photo or series of photos
one of which will be exactly at right angles to the back of your house ?

I have tried that but the result isn't as clear-cut as I would have liked, partly
because I can only get such a picture from the farthest point of the garden and at that
distance, even with computer-aided enlargement, it's not easy accurately to mark the
exact line of the border.

But I'll persevere. Thanks for the thought.

If you choose an arial view in Google Streetview, assuming the
two bungalows are identical in area then assuming this post dates
the metre extension having been built, a screen capture and
subsequently measuring and drawing lines should give some
idea if how close the extension actually comes to the boundary.

Basically you first need to establish the facts. It might also
be worth pondering, although not by asking him direct, how
exactly the neighbour is so sure of "his" facts.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kipper at sea" wrote:

Is it the window or the soffit or fascia that's causing
the overhang? Is the loft roof a flat roof or pitched tiled?

There isn't a window in the side wall of the dormer. If there is an
overhang it's caused by the decorative/protective cladding which was
used instead of tiles. This stuff:

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Faca...therboard.aspx

The loft roof is flat.

well you can rip that lot off, tack some mesh and render...

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like a job for a plumb line to me. Gravity seldom lies. However,
whatever the outcome, you do not really want to have a neighbour with the
hump next door so why not simply ask them what the remedy for them would
be?
Presumably they had the opportunity to view the plans before work started.
If its not in accordance with those plans both of you have some grounds to
bring back the builder and ask what gives.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bert
Coules escribió:

But I'd be grateful for any comments. Many thanks.

A laser level, aimed vertically, on the party wall, at night?

Should be pretty definitive

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 17:01, Bert Coules wrote:
"Robin" wrote:

a. did you serve notice in accordance with the Party Wall Act?

Unfortunately, this wasn't done, initially because the neighbour
declared that "we shouldn't be bothered with all that" and latterly
(when I fully intended to send him at least an informal letter outlining
my intentions) because it was simply overlooked.

You are not the first to have done that. And you can't serve a notice
after the work has been done.

Where work has caused physical damage to a neighbour's property the
Party Wall Act process can be used by agreement among the parties to
sort it out. But I don't think that's much use to you at this stage -
the more so as I assume that if you have encroached then a physical
solution (ie rebuilding) is something you'd only want to contemplate
after exploring legal routes such as a acquiring a "flying freehold".

The only suggestions I feel able to offer a

a. if you seek a surveyor's advice on whether or not the work has
encroached it might be worth engaging one who also works as a party wall
surveyor; and

b. if you phone the RICS helpline (024 7686 8555) you should get some
free advice - albeit of course advice which might involve engaging a
RICS surveyor in addition to, if not instead of, a solicitor

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bert
Coules escribió:

Thanks for this and your other replies. Acquiring a sliver of land and
therefore moving the boundary might actually be a workable solution, if he's
right (and willing, of course).

Try and resolve it amicably, because neighbour disputes have to be
declared when selling a property and may adversely affect your ability
to sell.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/17 08:43, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Bert
Coules escribió:

Thanks for this and your other replies. Acquiring a sliver of land and
therefore moving the boundary might actually be a workable solution, if he's
right (and willing, of course).

Try and resolve it amicably, because neighbour disputes have to be
declared when selling a property and may adversely affect your ability
to sell.

Which he knows full well and will take advantage of.

1/. Initate a dispute with a neighbour over any issue that is convenuient.

2/. Escalate it to a seriously unpleasnat level as a way of fircing your
neighbour to sell

3/. When no one will buy the place because of the **** next door, get
your brother to buy it really cheap.

4/. Now convert it ointo 17 flats and rent it to illegal immigrants.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:

I think he is just out to cause a nuisance.

That's possible, but it doesn't diminish the fact that his causing a
nuisance could be, well, a nuisance.

He's claiming that the incursion over the boundary has affected both
the value and the ease of reselling of his property.

How can a window overhang the boundary unless you have also gone into
his loft space?

A plinth or whatever round the top of the window?

If the window goes right up to the boundary, the 'roof' to that window
might well overhang into next door.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.