Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Dispute over new loft conversion

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
"NY" wrote:

Exactly. Can you draw a diagram of how the window and your two houses are arranged?

I might be able to put a photo online but I haven't yet sorted out a replacement for
Photobucket; I'll see.

How can either of you measure the exact position of the boundary line / party wall?

I think he's calculating the position of the boundary based on the distance between the
two closest adjacent rear windows in our back walls. The window openings were 4.5
brick-widths apart, so the boundary is presumably at the 2.25 brick-width position.

This is complicated now though because the rear wall of my bungalow has been moved
backwards into the garden by a metre and the new window openings are quite different.
But photos exist of the old wall in place.

Is the fence between you exactly on the boundary...

No. The fence, for some reason, is some 6-8 inches his side of the boundary (if the
2.25 bricks calculation is correct).

Until all this business started I never looked closely at the placing of the fence and
automatically assumed that it accurately marked the boundary. I do wonder now if the
builders made the same assumption and took the fence as a datum line for locating the
newly-moved wall and therefore the dormer too. If so it doesn't necessarily mean that
there is an overlap but it would place both wall and dormer closer to the boundary line
than in the plans.

How does the dormer align with the one metre extension to your rear wall?

Assuming the neighbour didn't object to the extension

If you go to the bottom of your garden, and taking advantage of the 6-8 inches
offered by the positioning of the fence can't you take a photo or series of photos
one of which will be exactly at right angles to the back of your house ?
Including both the extension as it abuts your back wall and the dormer window.
Ideally you won't want any of the one metre side wall of the extension visible, but
neither will you want the extension obscuring any of the back wall.
And then blow them up on the 'puter and draw a vertical line aligned with the
side of the extension and see how this aligns with the side of the dormer.
If the dormer does or doesn't encroach should then be evident from the
photo, and is worth establishing before proceeding further (in the
event that it in fact does). In the event that it doesn't then print out
the photo and show it to the neighbour or even invite him to take
his own photo and check for himself.

michael adams