Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dodge RAM 1500 electrical issues

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 09:45:19 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 14:00:04 +0000, Stormin' Norman wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 09:32:49 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/23/2017 7:58 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Engine by Mopar. Electrical by Lucas.
Are you sure it was a Dodge? Sounds like something you'd find on a
Jaguar.

Yup, Chrysler. In fact, I just remembered I owned a 1961 Plymouth
Valiant when I was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point. I was leaving the
base one afternoon in 1962 when the engine compartment started smoking
and just as I approached the front gate, it burst into flames. An
electrical fire.

I suppose there are a percentage of electrical problems with all makes
and models, but Chrysler sticks in my mind as being below average,
from an electrical perspective.

My son's wife-to-be had a '90's Chrysler - a Stratus if I remember right.
He was driving it one day when it went up in flames due to a power steering hose coming
loose. Burnt to the ground before the fire engines showed up.
She got a recall notice a couple weeks later for that "problem."

Over the decades, chrysler has actually been in the "above average"
class as far as electrical systems, while Ford has been slightly
below. On my last 4 Fords, virtually all the problems I have had have
been electrical in nature, and the vast majority related to electrical
connections.On my last 3 Chryslers products I do not remember a single
electrical issue. These vehicles span from 1985 to 2003. Most of these
vehicles went over 200,000km and over 10 years (some up to 21 years).
Compared to years ago, even with the electrical systems being much
more complex today, the number and severity of electrical problems is
down significantly from back in the sixties to eighties - and
particularly when the switch to aluminum chassis wiring was attempted
back in the late eighties. I remember many hours spent tracing down
electrical faults and splicing wiring harnesses - and repairing MANY
burned wiring harnesses in the early years of being in the trade.
Doesn't seem to be anywhere neer the problems on a percentage basis
today.