Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dispute over new loft conversion

On 23/07/17 15:39, Bert Coules wrote:
I live in a semi-detached bungalow. My neighbour has complained that
the dormer window of my new loft conversion overhangs the boundary
between our properties because it hasn't been built in exact accordance
with the plans.

I can't judge the position visually - the overhang, if it does actually
exist,must I think be extremely small - but I'm uncertain as to the best
way to proceed. The neighbour has asked that I raise the matter with
both the builder and the architect and I'm quite willing to do so, but
it seems to me that the architect isn't really involved and the builder
is hardly the most unbiased person to pass judgement on the situation.

Isn't it up to my neighbour to prove his contention? If so, I assume
this would take more than just his word on the matter and a visual
inspection. I doubt the builder would accept anything less than an
independent surveyor's report, and in fact neither would I.

But I'd be grateful for any comments. Many thanks.

Can you hang a plumbline off the furthest point? Or use a plumb-laser
off the ground?

How certain is the boundary?