Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

On 7/22/2017 10:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hide a spare key in the vehicle. Have a third key made without the
transponder. It can still be done for many vehicles, but you might
have to ask around. Make the hole in the key a little bigger, remove a
license plate and hang the key from the screw before you reattach the
plate. On which side of the plate you place the key should be fairly
obvious.

Now, if you lose your keys, or lock them inside, all you need is a
screwdriver or anything that can be used as a screwdriver. Since the
third key has no transponder, it can't be used to start the car, just
to open it. Now retrieve your spare key and you are good to go.

Does not work exactly like that with many newer cars though. Good or bad
depending on the car.

First, I cannot lock my keys in the car. Many of the keyless ignitions
will not let you lock the door when you exit if the fob is inside. That
is a good thing. I also have a key that will work. I don't know how
easily made it is. It has no chip but is an odd shape not like most
keys and it stores in the fob. It is laser cut. The purpose of it is to
use if the fob battery dies but if you lose the fob you lose the key
with it.

If I did get one made I imagine I could find a way to mount it behind
the license plate. Not enough meat to drill out large enough.

Types of keys
https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/the...your-keys.html