Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 23:03:13 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 20:48:59 -0400, micky
wrote:

How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
in town?

When you go out of town?

Don't need a fob - but the car has keyless entry so IF we lock the
keys in, the code opens the door.
The truck is a different story. No electric locks.
The only time I've locked the keys in the truck other than on my
driveway at home (second key redilly available) I luckily left the cab
back widow unlatched and was able to get in by unbolting the cap from
the box and reaching in through that back window. Luckily I had tools
in the back of the truck. Midnight, miles from nowhere - sell phone as
a flashlight

I think it is impossiable to lock the keys in the car I have. To lock
it (you have to have the FOB near the car) just touch a spot on the door
handle. To open, just grab the handle. Trunk the same way to unlock
it,just press a button o the trunk. The fob has a key in it,but it is
sort of an electronic key so difficult to duplicate even if I wanted to.

Well, I've got a 2004 Chrysler car and even for my previous 2000, it was
expensive to make dupes. The price has gone down a lot and finding them
has gotten much easier.. It was $16 for 2 keys, and $6 apiece to cut
them. I asked about programming then and he said "It's expensive. $30
apiece" but with the directions it was free.

The fobs were $11 a piece, also free to program.

Only took me about 3 tries with each. If they want to test old codgers
for mental ability (before selling them long term care insurance) making
them program their key or their fob would be a great test.

The time to do this was now, because you have to have 2 keys and one
good fob to make these copies yourself and that's exactly what the car
came with**. If I lost anything, I'd have to use the locksmith. **Plus
one key w/o a chip.

I haven't lost my keys much, but anything is too much if I'm not
prepared. Once when I was changing clothes to go tubing, I left them in
my pants and locked them in the trunk. At the end of the day, I had to
get a ride home and back, 30 or 40 miles total.

Another time when I was 100 miles from home, I dropped a set in my trunk
and couldn't find them. I had spare car keys but had to call a friend
to leave my house key at my house (because I'd failed to replace the one
that is supposed to be buried) I don't get it but I never did find the
set I dropped in the trunk!