Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 20:48:59 -0400, micky
wrote:

How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
in town?

When you go out of town?

Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.

Never carry a dupe. If travelling with my wife, she has a second key.
Trusted neighboer has key to the house to get spare key if required.

Don't need a fob - but the car has keyless entry so IF we lock the
keys in, the code opens the door.
The truck is a different story. No electric locks.
The only time I've locked the keys in the truck other than on my
driveway at home (second key redilly available) I luckily left the cab
back widow unlatched and was able to get in by unbolting the cap from
the box and reaching in through that back window. Luckily I had tools
in the back of the truck. Midnight, miles from nowhere - sell phone as
a flashlight