Stormin Mormon

Default Kerosine Heaters

I've gone along on an oil call or two -- and had a very little bit of hands
on training. And I've got two certificates somewhere, Carlin and Riello.

Sounds like you'd be wise to move out of that house. Soon.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"K Wind" wrote in message
. ..

Here is a summary of what was done to the furnace.

The furnace ran out of fuel at the end of the heating season last year. Fuel
oil was purchased, but the furnace wouldn't work.

My brother in law had an igniter transformer in his truck, so he decided to
replace the one in the furnace. The replacement was bigger, so he ground off
the mounting bracket for the original. The furnace didn't work. The next
day, he was still playing with the transformer and I decided to speed things
along by showing him how to test it. There was nothing wrong with it. Now
the original igniter transformer is being held on with electrical tape. I
also mentioned that the nozzle has a good chance of becoming plugged when
the tank runs dry. He bought one and installed it. He removed the entire
burner motor/pump/igniter assembly from the front of the furnace and that's
when the gasket was destroyed. Once the furnace began working, it was noted
that the burner would shut off before the blower would come on. Sometimes
the burner would come on twice and shut down before the blower started. I
was told that the fan/limit control settings were not correct. It did not
make sense. There is a schematic on a plate near the blower and I removed
it, cleaned it, scanned it, and redrew it using schematic capture. I then
went to the furnace and traced the wires and confirmed that they were going
where they should go. This helped me become familiar with the different
parts and I noticed that the flame detector was loose and "looking" off to
the side. The mounting screw was stripped. I replaced it and aimed the flame
detector correctly. Now, the furnace goes through its cycles correctly.

This is why I question using the kaowool. I can't trust anything this guy
does. At this point, I don't know if it was installed correctly. BTW, it's a
wet blanket.

There is one thing bothering me. The igniter transformer is mounted on a
hinged plate. Two screws at the hinged end and one at the other. The flame
detector is located under this plate. What prevents gases from escaping from
under the igniter transformer? Shouldn't there be a gasket there too?