Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Better Hinge

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
http://tacklemaker.info/index.php?ac...sa=view;pic=31
You shouldn't need to be logged on to see the image.

How does MIG welding a thicker bar on the end compare in cost and
effort?

You could mill steps for the beads in the end to retain strength and
minimize cleanup.
********

I hadn't thought of that. I do have a MIG with a spool gun for
welding aluminum. I'm not very good, but I expect for a repetitive
weld I could setup, make a couple practice passes, and then do
several at a time. I'm not sure that overall it's the best solution
for me, but it is a good idea.

P.S. When I was learning to make molds, I had my first ultralight
CNC mill, and stock was more precious to me since I wasn't making
any money with it I often welded up mistakes in a plate and
remachined it.

Personally I'd sub that job to a certified welder friend who is much
better than I'll ever be, and ask him how he wanted the parts prepared
so that the beads stay below the upper and lower surfaces.

I am better on steel and build up shapes like bending brake hinge
forks that would require removing a lot of metal from a solid block.

-jsw