Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brass security screws?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 19:23:46 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 7/22/2017 3:48 PM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:32:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
I am about to fix a small brass plate to the front door. The door is
black, with brass door furniture, so it should look OK (after I've
cleaned the rest of the brass!)

I'd like to use some brass screws, but wondered about security screws
in case some scrote decides to nick it (not sure how likely this is,
though).

Can you get brass security screws, or are they too soft to work? Even
Torx or Torx+pin would be good; I don't really want the 'one way'
ones.

Instead of using wood screws, use machine screws with self locking
nuts inside? Then if anyone tries to unscrew from the outside, the
nuts will turn with the screws? Long brass screws can be got easily
for sockets, etc. 3.5mm locking nuts might take some finding. ;-)

Yes, I was wondering about that. I'll have a look.

I wouldn't trust self locking nuts. Either two nuts as a proper lock
nut, or (since you are using brass) just solder nuts on the inside.

That's a good idea.