Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Better Hinge

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
http://tacklemaker.info/index.php?ac...sa=view;pic=31
You shouldn't need to be logged on to see the image.

How does MIG welding a thicker bar on the end compare in cost and
effort?

You could mill steps for the beads in the end to retain strength and
minimize cleanup.
********

I hadn't thought of that. I do have a MIG with a spool gun for welding
aluminum. I'm not very good, but I expect for a repetitive weld I could
setup, make a couple practice passes, and then do several at a time. I'm
not sure that overall its the best solution for me, but it is a good idea.

P.S. When I was learning to make molds, I had my first ultralight CNC mill,
and stock was more precious to me since I wasn't making any money with it I
often welded up mistakes in a plate and remachined it.