Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any good use of carbide PCB drills

I used to use those in the industry. I know what I'm talking about.
The SS ones are drills. The ones with a plastic ring about the middle
are the real things. One of the things I learned - many people turn in
the drills of all sizes to be re-ground and calibrated tip to plastic.

When we took ours there, they were selling boxes of what we used for
almost nothing. So we bought boxes and later got ours. All were sharp
and he was trying to get his sharping price back out of them. So many
companies died and left stuff everywhere. Motor places had fixes but no
longer a customer. In the last 6 years in the south bay I worked for
three companies. A big one got out of the business. Before that, I got
my bonuses and VP and I found jobs before the crash. Then while at
another small company a good friend and I created a product line that
customers asked for the parts. Then a big fish bought us out and at
that location once again started using carbide in very high speed
spindle in CNC to drill prototype boards. Mill with 5 mill and drill
the holes for connections and parts. Most of ours were surface mount.
Grounds and power were on two planes and drilling connected them.

Martin

On 7/21/2017 8:49 PM, rangerssuck wrote:
On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 9:16:13 PM UTC-4, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Hobby dills tiny drill holes. Look into any Dremel box
and you will have half a dozen.
Martin

Not really the same thing. The Dremel ones are HSS. Iggy's got solid carbide.