K Wind

Default Kerosine Heaters

"CBHvac" wrote in message

"K Wind" wrote in message
news

"mark Ransley" wrote in message
Co builds up in the blood , minimal exposure builds up over many

days
in your blood. Fix the dam furnace ,unless you live out west and
have cheap hydro power, gas heat is 50% cheaper than electric.

I hear you. The best I could do was to stop the furnace from being used.

The
first time it was worked on, the gasket between the burner
motor/pump/igniter assembly and the front of the furnace was destroyed.

The
burner motor/pump/igniter assembly was installed without the gasket. The
house filled up with fumes. Can't say for sure that the fumes were due

the missing gasket, I just knew one should be there.

Depends...is it a ThermoPride oil furnace?
Or is it an old Nordyne or similar? Some units gaskets are not available

and
Kaowool liners come with more than ample extra to allow for this.

As far as fumes go...if its an oil unit, you got more problems than a
gasket...

I complained and
instead of installing a gasket, chamber lining was used.

And thats fine, and actually a better material if installed correctly than
the old gasket.

If a qualified oil furnace tech installed it, that would be okay I guess.

Here is a summary of what was done to the furnace.

The furnace ran out of fuel at the end of the heating season last year. Fuel
oil was purchased, but the furnace wouldn't work.

My brother in law had an igniter transformer in his truck, so he decided to
replace the one in the furnace. The replacement was bigger, so he ground off
the mounting bracket for the original. The furnace didn't work. The next
day, he was still playing with the transformer and I decided to speed things
along by showing him how to test it. There was nothing wrong with it. Now
the original igniter transformer is being held on with electrical tape. I
also mentioned that the nozzle has a good chance of becoming plugged when
the tank runs dry. He bought one and installed it. He removed the entire
burner motor/pump/igniter assembly from the front of the furnace and that's
when the gasket was destroyed. Once the furnace began working, it was noted
that the burner would shut off before the blower would come on. Sometimes
the burner would come on twice and shut down before the blower started. I
was told that the fan/limit control settings were not correct. It did not
make sense. There is a schematic on a plate near the blower and I removed
it, cleaned it, scanned it, and redrew it using schematic capture. I then
went to the furnace and traced the wires and confirmed that they were going
where they should go. This helped me become familiar with the different
parts and I noticed that the flame detector was loose and "looking" off to
the side. The mounting screw was stripped. I replaced it and aimed the flame
detector correctly. Now, the furnace goes through its cycles correctly.

This is why I question using the kaowool. I can't trust anything this guy
does. At this point, I don't know if it was installed correctly. BTW, it's a
wet blanket.

There is one thing bothering me. The igniter transformer is mounted on a
hinged plate. Two screws at the hinged end and one at the other. The flame
detector is located under this plate. What prevents gases from escaping from
under the igniter transformer? Shouldn't there be a gasket there too?

I questioned that
and now the furnace is not going to used and the space heater is. I am
unable to make these people understand that furnaces SHOULD NOT be

modified
in any way.

Unless you are a dealer that is privy to upgrade or modification
information.
THEN, you can.

I understand. A dealer is qualified to make upgrades.

If a new gasket is to be used, two are going to installed
because if one is good, two is even better. Never mind that the furnace

will
not be in compliance because of modification.

Not only that, its going to leak about 4X faster....sheesh.

I don't understand why some people think they can or should modify some
machines. Especially ones that can kill.

I know this from my electrical engineering background. I have taken many
machines
through UL, CSA, ETL, FCC, CE, etc... . This included evaluation,

testing,
researching the parts, manufacturing and assembly documentation, and

writing
a report for the institution that was going to supply the appropriate

label.

How in hell did I know?

Not sure what you mean above.

I do work for a mechanical engineer that designs commercial HVAC systems,
but he wont touch an oil burner...ask him. I was just over at his moms

last
night, with him there, repairing someone elses brilliant move on the
unit...it about killed her...and hes been doing this over 30 years...the
neighbor that tried to help....he came within about an hour of killing her
with CO and maybe 30 minutes of burning the home down...

My best friend is a mechanical engineer. We have designed quite a few
machines together. Believe it or not, we worked in a specials department at
first. It was our job to modify core equipment to meet customer's specific
needs. I know I'm harping on modifications, but it was my job to do just
that. It was one of the most satisfying jobs I've ever had.

I'm sorry to hear that your friend has to worry about the next door neighbor
working on her furnace. The dumb ones don't know when to quit.

We go through this process to make machines safe for consumers.

Shame we cant make the units consumer proof.

The best that can be done is make them use a tool.

Any tech that puts two gaskets on your unit, needs to be remanded to the
state local licence board.

I agree.

Ken

Ken