Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trumble Trumble is offline

Default Any good use of carbide PCB drills

On 21-Jul-17 3:26 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Trumble" wrote in message

On 20-Jul-17 10:18 AM, Ignoramus17939 wrote:
I am parting out a PCB drilling CNC machine. Inside of it, there is a
good pile of a few lbs of carbide "PCB Drills". These are tiny drills
and perhaps end mills, with what looks like 1/8" shanks.

I wonder if there is any non-PCB use for them. I do realize that these
carbide drills can only be used in CNC equipment, and I have a CNC
milling machine. Trying to think of any good use cases but can't.

Stick them on eBay in bags of 5/10/20.

Lots of electronics hobbiests use them, mainly in home brew CNC PCB
drilling machines but also they can be used in a drill press manually if
you're careful.

Works better with a sensitive drill chuck. Most drill presses have too
much runout work well with micro drills. Some like the little high
speed Proxxon are decent though.

Thanks, today I learned what a sensitive drill chuck was. I'd not heard
of them before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytvZekD5x6Q