Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Any good use of carbide PCB drills

Ignoramus17939 wrote:
I am parting out a PCB drilling CNC machine. Inside of it, there is a
good pile of a few lbs of carbide "PCB Drills". These are tiny drills
and perhaps end mills, with what looks like 1/8" shanks.

I wonder if there is any non-PCB use for them. I do realize that these
carbide drills can only be used in CNC equipment, and I have a CNC
milling machine. Trying to think of any good use cases but can't.

I buy them all the time, usually in 50 or 100 count assorted packs. I
use them for doing repairs on various things as well as for hobby use.

Very handy in a Dremal tool or one of the small precision drill
presses. Used a lot by hobbyists like RC, model train, ship, and model
builders.

The big places use them once, then either scrap them or ship them to
places to be sharpened and the good ones get returned, the out of spec
go to the hobby market.

Have someone clean them and sort out the broken ones, then toss the rest
on Ebay in various lot sizes, for shipping it is handy to stick them
into a styrofoam block with a second one over the tips so they don't get
broken.

--
Steve W.