HA HA Budys Here

Default Power connections for stove

From: (Chris Lewis)
Date: 10/23/2003 5:13 PM Eastern Standard Time
According to TURTLE :

Is it legal to combine the Neutral and the ground at the receptical behind
the stove and not go all the way back to switch box with the extra ground

or
neutral / making 4 wire system Hot,hot,Ground, and Neutral?

I would suspect _not_, because having the four prong plug will be misleading.
Perhaps not "illegal" per-se, but an inspector wouldn't like it.

No, it would definately be illegal.

Besides, it's usually very difficult to pigtail #8 or #6 wire inside the
outlet like that.

In the case where only a 3-wire existed, it would be a hot, hot, ground. And
most likely, type SEU cable. So the "pigtailing" would be from ground to
neutral, not neutral to ground. The ground would be smaller than the
conductors. And with all the 8/3 with ground I've seen, the ground is #10
anyway.

I wouldn't install a four prong outlet & plug unless the circuit really was
four wire. Three wire stove/dryer circuits are still legal for "old
construction"

The correct phrase would be "existing installations."

(down there), so I'd stick with three prong unless you really were upping the
circuit to 4 wire.

New construction, of course, must be 4 wire.
--
Chris Lewis