M&B

Default window condensation inside...

"jim" wrote in message ...
M&B wrote:

hey all, i've been having a problem for a while in the winters with
condensation forming on the windows. i had wood double hung windows

with
triple track storm windows which i replaced this spring w/ a very good

vinyl
replacement window. and just recently re-sided w/ a layer of 1/2" foam

and
vinyl siding. we've had a few nights dip into the mid to lower 30's and

now
in the morning condensation on the windows. we keep a dehumidifyer in

the
basement and the humidity level down there is usually about 47% at about

65
degrees F. up stairs (it's a 1,400 sqft. ranch) where we are having the
problem the humidity level is just about the same but can range from

45%-57%
and the them usually goes no lower than 63 degrees F in the house.

there is
never condensation on the basement windows. once the temp outside warms

up
and the heat in the house gets going the condensation will dry up after

wipe most of it away. the thermostat for the house is set to 68 degrees
during the day and 63 at night. when we first bought the house i added

more
insulation to the attic, hoping that i could solve the problem but it

didn't
help and i hoped that with the new windows it would solve the problem
peroid, but it hasn't. any help would be appreciated.

mike.......

in the summer time go outside in the 90's with a glass of cold ice
water.. the glass sweats on the outside(why??? because the outside of
the glass is warmeer than the inside of the glass with the icewater....
the same thing with the house only reverse.... now do the same thing
with a foam cup(cold water inside and there is no condensation on the
outside of the foam cup... why?? becasue the cut in insulated and the
cold on the inside does not go to the outside of the cup.....
its moisture inside the house and a higer heat in the house than outside
that make the condensation on the glass windows.... that is why it
sweats..... not much you can do about it the cold it traveling through
the glass.. it does not matter how much insulation you put in the walls
or ceiling it will not stop the glass from sweating... the only thing
that will stop the glass from sweating is it you leave all the windows
and doors open so the inside of the house is just as cold as the
outside..

it sounds like it's correct but it's not or every window in a cold climate
would have that problem. nice try though.

mike.......