Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Red Prepper Red Prepper is offline

Default How do I properly use an electrical demagnitizer?

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:22:39 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 08:05:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 12:53:07 AM UTC-4,

wrote:

Slam the screwdriver hard enough, it may magnetize or

de-magnetize all on its own.

I learned about that from my father when I was in grade school.

The secret is how you orientate what ever you are magnetising or
demagnetising. If you have it pointed toward the magnetic north
pole, it gets magnetised. And if oriented 90 degrees away, it
demagnetises. Soft iron does not retain magnetism , hard iron does.

Dan

Here are some old physics notes about making magnets, which are kind
of interesting. BTW, soft iron or steel is easier to magnetize, but
they lose their magnetism very quickly. Hard iron or steel retain
their magnetism longer. The needles in compasses are made from hard
steel:

https://www.princeton.edu/ssp/joseph...manent-magnet/

--
Ed Cundress

What kind of needle was your dick made out of before you traded it in
for that **** in a dress?