Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do I properly use an electrical demagnitizer?

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 10:27PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/15/2017 04:18 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Also would like to use it to magnitize things, like screw drivers and
so forth.

Put a diode in series or a full wave bridge if you have one laying
around. If you're really lucky, lay the screwdriver on it ...

Slam the screwdriver hard enough, it may magnetize or de-magnetize all on its own.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 12:53:07 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Slam the screwdriver hard enough, it may magnetize or de-magnetize all on its own.

I learned about that from my father when I was in grade school. The secret is how you orientate what ever you are magnetising or demagnetising. If you have it pointed toward the magnetic north pole, it gets magnetised. And if oriented 90 degrees away, it demagnetises. Soft iron does not retain magnetism , hard iron does.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 08:05:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 12:53:07 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Slam the screwdriver hard enough, it may magnetize or de-magnetize all on its own.

I learned about that from my father when I was in grade school. The secret is how you orientate what ever you are magnetising or demagnetising. If you have it pointed toward the magnetic north pole, it gets magnetised. And if oriented 90 degrees away, it demagnetises. Soft iron does not retain magnetism , hard iron does.

Dan

Here are some old physics notes about making magnets, which are kind
of interesting. BTW, soft iron or steel is easier to magnetize, but
they lose their magnetism very quickly. Hard iron or steel retain
their magnetism longer. The needles in compasses are made from hard
steel:

https://www.princeton.edu/ssp/joseph...manent-magnet/

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Slam the screwdriver hard enough, it may magnetize or

de-magnetize all on its own.

I learned about that from my father when I was in grade school.

The secret is how you orientate what ever you are magnetising or
demagnetising. If you have it pointed toward the magnetic north
pole, it gets magnetised. And if oriented 90 degrees away, it
demagnetises. Soft iron does not retain magnetism , hard iron does.

Dan

Here are some old physics notes about making magnets, which are kind
of interesting. BTW, soft iron or steel is easier to magnetize, but
they lose their magnetism very quickly. Hard iron or steel retain
their magnetism longer. The needles in compasses are made from hard
steel:

https://www.princeton.edu/ssp/joseph...manent-magnet/

--
Ed Cundress

What kind of needle was your dick made out of before you traded it in
for that **** in a dress?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

This place is very well regarded. Hyperphysics was their 'invention'.

I have a CD myself.
Need to buy another - to get an update.

Web version always there.

Martin