Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_44_] Bob[_44_] is offline

Default Outlet And Switch Grounding In The Metal Wall Box ?

Hello,

Let me try to ask this in an understandable way.

Been many, many years since I wired any outlets, switches, etc.,
so possibly the building codes have changed ? (live in Mass.)

Previously, when you installed or replaced a switch, outlets, or even a
GFCI, it was "required" that you run a green grounding wire from the
back of the metal box where you would have a screw grounding together
the box, and All the green wires from the outlets, etc grounds
to the switch or outlet grounding screw.

It was not allowed, I think, to just have the mounting tabs
do the grounding thru the box shell, although the mounting tabs
were (usually) common with the outlet or switch grounding screw.

I now see that Leviton implies for their their GFCI devices
that you can simply use the mounting tabs, and that a separate ground
wire to the box grounding screw is not required.

Do I have this right ?
Has the code changed.

Just use the GFCI mounting tabs, and don't run a separate ground wire ?

Or,...?

Thanks,
Bob