Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= is offline

Default Do the Toyota Camry headlight polishers actually work well?

Danny D. posted for all of us...

Ooops. I meant SAE viscosities are meaningless in practical terms where I
live, but you knew what I meant (API being for the SN or SM, which is good
enough for any kid's car).

My point is that it's worthwhile to figure out the "magic" in the
ingredients where basic chemistry is the rule, not the mystery.

To that end Sylvania sent the MSDF which is a bit cryptic:
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET #080513HRKUVBCC HRK UV BLock Clear Coat
Bottled By: Dvelup 888-350-2932
Stoddard Solvent CAS 8052-41-3
Stoddard Solvent CAS 64742-88-7
Where the MSDS says "This products formula is considered a trade secret,
the exact chemical names of the ingredient(s) and the percentages in which
they are combined will not appear in the body of this sheet. The exact
composition is available upon request to physicians, industrial hygienists
and other health professionals."

The "secret ingredients" are probably just dimethicone, but that's what
I'll try to find out.

The original lenses had a UV protectant - I had a Toyota which did this
also. I took it to Sams & had it done. It lasted until my wife wrecked the
car... Less work for mother...

--
Tekkie