Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do I properly use an electrical demagnitizer?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 18:57:21 -0400, Neon John wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 23:52:50 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

https://cdn.globalauctionplatform.co...d4/540x360.jpg

That's easy. That's an E-core type demagnetizer. Imagine an E laid
on its back so the legs poke upward. The coil is wound on the center,
larger leg. If at any instant in time the center leg is north
polarity, the three legs will be S-N-S. So you have two magnetic
loops in which to insert something to be demagnetized.

To demagnetize something, energize the unit and move it between the
center pole and either of the outside legs. Move it slowly and in
several directions. Slowly move it an arm's length away before
cutting power.

To magnetize something, place it on the center pole or between poles
and interrupt the current at its peak. This will require some custom
electronics. Three approaches. A peak switching solid state switch
using 60hz line voltage, a capacitor discharge device that switches a
high joule capacitor across the coil or a peak firing SCR (silicon
controlled rectifier).

The most effective would be a capacitor discharge unit. An MSD MS-6AL
racing ignition box and a 12 volt magnet would do the job unmodified.
Easiest and least expensive would be a heavy duty lamp dimmer with the
TRIAC replaced with an SCR so that it only fires on half the 60
cycles.

I can tell you how to do it either way. I'd prefer the MSD racing
box. Here are what the boxes look like in order of preference.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-6201

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-5520

Though not made anymore, the old analog MSD-6A would work perfectly.
You should be able to find one at any auto swap meet or on sleazebay.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com