Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Do the Toyota Camry headlight polishers actually work well?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 22:49:42 -0400, wrote:

It's only been 4 months now but the my lights look great.

I've used several with excellent but short term results. They look
like new for about 5 months-8 months, then go bad again. The sealer
makes 'em last a little longer

After having looked at the ingredients, all contain a grit, particularly
"aluminum oxide".

Anyone know where to get a free handful of "aluminum oxide" grit?

Given the worst thing that can happen is we ruin what is already ruined, it
may be worth experimenting with some of that bentonite clay I got from a
well driller for use in the heavy poison oak.

I'm thinking a few sheets of 1000 grit to 2000 grit wet sandpaper.
Plus a handful of free bentonite well-driller's clay.
Plus free college-aged elbow grease and free water from the hose.

The "sealer" seems to be Polydimethylsiloxane (aka dimethicone).
It's in shampoo/conditioner to make hair "slippery and shiny".
And in Rain-X. Silly putty too. Silicone grease. All says Wikipedia anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydimethylsiloxane

So maybe a handful of bentonite (which I have) or aluminum oxide (if I can
find it) plus water and fine-grit sandpaper will polish - and - maybe hair
conditioner or Rain-X will seal it?

Where can we get a handful of free "aluminum oxide" & "dimethicone"?