Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Tires....help needed on choices

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 13:36:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://www.neon-john.com

Got any newer pics of that diesel genset? That's cool. What's the weight?

No more pix. I finished the rig, then gave it to a friend of mine.
Frankly, it was too noisy for my tastes. I never weighed the thing
but it was pretty heavy. I'm 6'7", 260 lbs and it took me a pretty
hard lunge to get the hand truck up on its wheels.

http://www.tnduction.com

That Roy 1500 has some beefy cooling fins on it. Only half the heat goes into the coil, eh?
(Kidding. I know that the heat in the object is created by the eddy currents from the coil.)

I've done calorimetry on the unit. It's about 80% efficient, wall to
output. Or was. I found some new SiC transistors that cut the
silicon losses to almost nothing. Now the variable speed fan barely
comes off idle.

The end-of-lifed the microprocessor I used so I made the decision to
discontinue sales while I design a whole new unit using an ARM
processor. The housing for this unit is a (knockoff) Pelican case.
Tons of cooling, connections to the work cables via welding
connectors, water resistant and several other upgrades.

I'm also having custom made neoprene insulated Litz wire manufactured.
That will get rid of a LOT of losses compared to welding cables.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com