Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Flesh Sensing Kapex, Track Saws, Domino ??

On 7/13/2017 8:20 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 20:42:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

snip

What does owning a particular brand of (quality) tools have to do with it?

Where's the "emotional" comparison between your feelings about Gass and someone
else's choice of manufacturer?

Also an emotional decision. For most purposes most Festools aren't any
better than the competition in the same price range.

First, there really isn't any close competition for many of their
tools. The first Festool I bought was the track saw. At the time,
anyway, it was about the same price as the competition but they didn't
have close to the variety of accessories that Festool offered. No
competition at all. You could argue that their jigsaws are comparable
with Bosch. I don't think you're going to find competition for the
Domino.

...or are you just jealous that others have what you can't afford?

I believe that Festool is not for every one. Anyone that uses their
tools quite a bit for years on end, not just on weekends, or for those
in the trades, can afford Festool. In the long run their tools save
countless hours of labor and they last. Festool is a bargain compared
to most of the competition with like tools considering the quality and
durability of the tool. With that said I can also see how someone in
the trades might shy away From Festool, Bosch, Fein, etc. because of the
potential of the tools walking off. It just makes sense to buy tools
that are good enough if they are less likely to disappear.

I have noticed that most that criticize Festool and other upper end
tools are ignorant of the features and quality of the tools and have no
real hands on experience.

My first Festool tools were the Domino and the Festool vac. I was very
impressed with the quality and consistent results that I got with the
tool. FWIW I am well into my 3rd replacement box of 5mm Domino tenons,
1,800 tenons per box, along with the original 600. I am still using
the same 5mm bit that came with the Domino, about 10,000 mortises just
for that sized bit. And I do have an extra 5mm bit that is about 10
years old and has never been used.

Anyway I have added a Festool track saw, drill, 3 sanders and thier
work bench. I have passed on their routers, Kapex, and jig saw so far.
I simply can not justify their expense from an actual usage and return
on investment stand point. I am certain that many others use the same
valid reasoning.

For those that do not have to watch the purse strings closely the
Festool tool is a nice tool to work with.

I'm also scratching my head about the link between Festools and Gass.
I understand not buying SawStop because of the horse's ass but having
a hair across your ass for Festool because of Gass??? Weird! Just
weird.