Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_3_] Dan Espen[_3_] is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Seizes Up

DerbyDad03 writes:

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 12:16:48 AM UTC-4, Dan Espen wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 8:02:54 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 5:12:49 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 20:44:02 GMT, Nannette Kendall
m wrote:

I have a tenant who says she rarely uses her garbage disposal.
However, it is seized up when she does try to use it. Is it
just rusting to the point it won't turn? If so, is there a way
to lubricate it to keep it from rusting?

This is typical of disposals, which is one of the things that
makes them a major pain in the butt. Consider eliminating the
disposal completely, you will save money and reduce tenant
complaints. It is just as easy to put food waste in the kitchen
garbage can.

Or for the tenant to then just put it down the drain. I wouldn't
have a kitchen sink without one. I don't put big stuff down
there, but it's perfect for all the small scraps left from prep
work, debris that comes off dirty pots, etc.

As for the problem, it may be bearings starting to go, running it
at least a couple times a week might keep it going though.

The wording of the OP is kind of strange. The author says that when
she tries to use it "it is seized up". Not that it seizes up, but
that it *is* seized up. There no mention of how it becomes unseized
or if it ever does.

Perhaps it is just jammed and needs to be reversed with the wrench
to free up whatever is causing the "seize".

As usual, more details would help.

Thanks Derby. I agree, the problem description was so bad as to be
incomprehensible. (To me.) How the hell can someone "rarely" use
something that is seized up? If it's seized up, you can't use it at
all.

Perzactly.

I have a disposal, I like it fine. It's never been jammed if that's
what the OP is trying to say. If it jams, use the key to free it up
and stop putting things in there that jam it up.

Tru Dat.

If these are tenants, sure you can take away appliances and then they
can never call and complain the appliances don't work.

My daughter recently moved into an apartment. The disposal was old,
loud and leaking. We put it on the punch list of the things that
needed attention and gave it to the landlord. The disposal was
replaced with a brand new (quiet) one the next day.

As they say, different strokes.

Yep.

When I had my first disposal installed, the contractor went for an
Insinkerator base model. It was pretty loud and only lasted 4 or 5
years before leaking. I went and bought another Insinkerator and saw
that they sell base models and really good lifetime guaranteed models.
I think I'm at about 12 years now. It's quiet and does the job.

--
Dan Espen