Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Seizes Up

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 8:02:54 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 5:12:49 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 20:44:02 GMT, Nannette Kendall
m wrote:

I have a tenant who says she rarely uses her garbage disposal. However, it is
seized up when she does try to use it. Is it just rusting to the point it
won't turn? If so, is there a way to lubricate it to keep it from rusting?

This is typical of disposals, which is one of the things that makes
them a major pain in the butt. Consider eliminating the disposal
completely, you will save money and reduce tenant complaints. It is
just as easy to put food waste in the kitchen garbage can.

Or for the tenant to then just put it down the drain. I wouldn't have a kitchen sink without one. I don't put big stuff down there, but it's perfect for all the small scraps left from prep work, debris that comes off dirty pots, etc.

As for the problem, it may be bearings starting to go, running it at least a couple times a week might keep it going though.

The wording of the OP is kind of strange. The author says that when she tries
to use it "it is seized up". Not that it seizes up, but that it *is* seized
up. There no mention of how it becomes unseized or if it ever does.

Perhaps it is just jammed and needs to be reversed with the wrench to free up
whatever is causing the "seize".

As usual, more details would help.