Default Sears Radial Arm Saw Motor Repair

If the motor just hmmmms when you turn it on,
Check for sawdust.

FIRST !! Unplug the unit !
Remove the blade.
You'll see a few phillips-head screws on the housing.
Remove 'em, and slide off the motor cover.

Go to the end opposite the blade, and you'll see
a centrifugal switch .
( A U-shaped set of contacts near the shaft
that open when the motor gets up to speed )

Clean the sawdust from between the switch contacts.

Now put it back together, and it should run fine
until the next time sawdust gets into the switch contacts.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 05:47:30 GMT, (Arthur
Shapiro) wrote:

In article , Howard Epstein wrote:
Anybody know how to get the motor off a 10 inch radial arm saw. The
motor is defective and I would like to take it to an electrical shop for
repair.

Are you *certain* that the motor has failed?

Those Sears guys are well known for seeming to be dead when sawdust gets into
the guts of the motor. Unscrewing and sliding the lower plastic cover off and
blasting the unit with air (I just used my Toro leaf blower last weekend, by
total coincidence) will often resurrect a dead/humming/no-motion unit for a
few more years.

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me

rj