Chris Lewis

Default Sears Radial Arm Saw Motor Repair

According to Howard Epstein :
Anybody know how to get the motor off a 10 inch radial arm saw. The
motor is defective and I would like to take it to an electrical shop for
repair.

I have started to remove it but I really am feeling my way around.
Hearing from someone with experience would be fantastic !

If your unit is anything like mine, there are several hex socket head
bolts holding the end caps of the blade bevel axles.

In other words, when the blade is 90 degrees to the backstop (arm
straight out), the saw motor will tilt on the axles
on either side of the motor (one facing you, one facing the post).

Undo those and the motor will begin to fall out of its "cradle".

CAUTION: there are "slugs" embedded into the mount castings that
provide positional stops and part of the clamping. Don't lose them!
They may even be spring loaded, so, be careful you figure out where they
came from.

You'll also need to disconnect the power wiring.

[my unit dates back to the late 60's. Massive cast iron arm.]

Ask around, you may be able to get a manual online. I did.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Howard Epstein

Anybody know how to get the motor off a 10 inch radial arm saw. The
motor is defective and I would like to take it to an electrical shop for
repair.

I have started to remove it but I really am feeling my way around.
Hearing from someone with experience would be fantastic !

Thank you

Howard Epstein

Arthur Shapiro

In article , Howard Epstein wrote:
Anybody know how to get the motor off a 10 inch radial arm saw. The
motor is defective and I would like to take it to an electrical shop for
repair.

Are you *certain* that the motor has failed?

Those Sears guys are well known for seeming to be dead when sawdust gets into
the guts of the motor. Unscrewing and sliding the lower plastic cover off and
blasting the unit with air (I just used my Toro leaf blower last weekend, by
total coincidence) will often resurrect a dead/humming/no-motion unit for a
few more years.

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me
Walt Conner

Yah, could be starting switch if just hums when turned on, could also be
capacitor. If motor is truly dead, it will likely stink.

Walt Conner

Are you *certain* that the motor has failed?

Rich

Howard Epstein, decides to chip in.

Anybody know how to get the motor off a 10 inch radial arm saw. The
motor is defective and I would like to take it to an electrical shop for
repair.

I have started to remove it but I really am feeling my way around.
Hearing from someone with experience would be fantastic !

Thank you

Howard Epstein

It could also be a weak extension cord. Always use the right size that is
rated for the use with this type of machinery.

Rich
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK.

If the motor just hmmmms when you turn it on,
Check for sawdust.

FIRST !! Unplug the unit !
Remove the blade.
You'll see a few phillips-head screws on the housing.
Remove 'em, and slide off the motor cover.

Go to the end opposite the blade, and you'll see
a centrifugal switch .
( A U-shaped set of contacts near the shaft
that open when the motor gets up to speed )

Clean the sawdust from between the switch contacts.

Now put it back together, and it should run fine
until the next time sawdust gets into the switch contacts.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 05:47:30 GMT, (Arthur
Shapiro) wrote:

In article , Howard Epstein wrote:
Anybody know how to get the motor off a 10 inch radial arm saw. The
motor is defective and I would like to take it to an electrical shop for
repair.

Are you *certain* that the motor has failed?

Those Sears guys are well known for seeming to be dead when sawdust gets into
the guts of the motor. Unscrewing and sliding the lower plastic cover off and
blasting the unit with air (I just used my Toro leaf blower last weekend, by
total coincidence) will often resurrect a dead/humming/no-motion unit for a
few more years.

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me

rj
Frank K.

This is aside from your immediate problem, but have you checked to see if
your saw is involved in the Sears/Emerson recall. Check this site
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/faq.htm. The recall will replace your
blade guard and table.

"Howard Epstein" wrote in message
Anybody know how to get the motor off a 10 inch radial arm saw. The
motor is defective and I would like to take it to an electrical shop for
repair.

I have started to remove it but I really am feeling my way around.
Hearing from someone with experience would be fantastic !

Thank you

Howard Epstein

Chris Lewis

According to Walt Conner :
Yah, could be starting switch if just hums when turned on, could also be
capacitor. If motor is truly dead, it will likely stink.

Not necessarily. Mine smoked only a bit at first. From then on it didn't,
yet, it still turned. Just no power.

Needed to be rewound.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est